PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Maybe it's because I took up pipe smoking again, but for some reason I'm suddenly on a Sherlock Holmes kick. I took down my old volume of the complete stories, and re-read all the way through, from "A Study in Scarlet" to "The Adventure of the Retired Colourman."
Still not enough, so I re-read the three Nicholas Myers books, and, still not satiated read "New Sherlock Holmes Adventures" (now re-titled "The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures") -- highly recommended: very well written adventures by various authors, almost indistinguishable from the original Doyle (Watson) tales.
And, worried I'd run out of new adventures, I've just ordered two books: "The Secret Notebooks of Sherlock Holmes" and "The House of Silk."
There's lots of new Holmes stuff available on Amazon, but do read the reviews, as apparently not all are written up to the standard of the master himself.
Speaking of whom, did you know that Arthur Conan Doyle is widely believed to be responsible for the Piltdown Man hoax? Seems he was mad at the scientific establishment for not believing his psychic experiments to be valid, so he set out to get even. That would make for a great Holmes case, too!

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Back at the helm - sailing the Yaghan to Antarctica, Patagonia and the South Pacific by Arne and Helene Martensson

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
If you have never read anything by Vince Flynn, I would recommend "American Assaasin". These are great books, along the lines of The Bourne Novels. Exciting but set in modern day. Great reads or listening to in the car.

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
At the moment, "Atlas Shrugged". Next up is something light. Maybe a Dick Francis book.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
If you have never read anything by Vince Flynn, I would recommend "American Assaasin". These are great books, along the lines of The Bourne Novels. Exciting but set in modern day. Great reads or listening to in the car.

Try Brad Thor too. He and Vince are alot alike. Once I start I get through it quick because I can't put it down. Right now I'm reading Chesty by John T. Hoffman.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I'm not reading anything currently, but I recently read Back From "The Ashes: Uncovering the Lost History of G.L. Hunt and Falcon Pipe". As the title suggests, it's about Falcons.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Just finished "Argo", a pretty good read. I wanted to read it before watching the movie (when it comes out on DVD..). The author, Tony Mendez, retired from the CIA to our little town. I hope the movie is as good as the book.
Currently reading "Thread Vector" a Tom Clancy collaboration.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Just finished reading ed Sander's book, The Family, which is about Charlie Manson and the Tate-LaBianca murders. Manson and crew were even crazier than I thought they were.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
Just finished "The Book Thief" and I'm starting "Inferno:The World at War, 1939-1945." by Max Hastings.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Just got finished re-reading "The Great God Pan," a novella by Arthur Machen. At my age, not many books give me the willies; this one has its moments. This story gave Lovecraft the creeps, so HP fans, you might want to check this one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.