PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Just digging short stories as I'm traveling too much to get too engaged.
If you have never read any Faulkner check out

"The Bear"

a quick coming-of-age tale, well written with a lot of wisdom that resonates long after you set it down...

Reactions: autumnfog

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
The Gondwane Epic by Lin Carter.
I am on the second book in the series; The Enchantress at World's End.
These were written in the early 1970's and owe much to the works of Jack Vance's Dying Earth and Clarke Ashton Smith's Zothique books. I think there is a bit of Lovecraft's Dream-Quest of the Unknown Kadath influence as well.

Lin Carter is perhaps best known along with Sprauge de Camp as the editors of Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian series of books.

Reactions: Jacob74 and Kobold

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
I'm doing hard work with War And Peace by Leo Tolstoi. It has been translated to Finnish in four volumes. I have to take breaks between them (not typical for me) and read some more intense books, like Lion by Conn Iggulden. However, I must say that War And Peace doesn't make any impression on me. Perhaps my expectations were too high, or maybe I just don't get the point of the story - that wouldn't be the first time, remembering back reading the Tin Drum, for example. But The Tin Drum was magnificent novel, nevertheless.

Reactions: RonB and edger

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
1682949923745.jpeg

April reads and a recently acquired Smith-Corona.

For better legibility

1682949993339.jpeg

Highly recommend Wittgenstein’s Mistress. The experimental yet simplistic novel (though neither quality is ever cloying) follows the thoughts of a woman that seems to be the last person in the world. No reason is given as to why she is. Primarily, she thinks about art and goes to empty historical sites.

I also finished some books I’ve been working my way more slowly through - the first volume of Gustav Flaubert’s letters and Robert Alter’s translation of the five books of Moses. Both highly recommended. Alter is a preeminent scholar of Hebrew and comparative literature and his translation is fair and attentive and models on the language of our great English literature.

Flaubert needs no introduction so I will leave off with this quote:

1682950074315.jpeg

“I have nothing but immense, insatiable desires, frightful boredom and incessant yawns. Also a broken pipe and dried out tobacco.
Shit! Adieu; keep well.”

K.E. Powell

Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Currently reading "Newjack: Guarding Sing Sing" by journalist Ted Conover. As a person who has worked in the corrections field for over nine years, I must say I find Conover's approach so far to be refreshing; he tells things from an officer's perspective and does so without sentimentality or pity, showing all things regardless of how they make him, corrections officers, or the prison system as a whole look, good and ill.

1682975692110.png

Status
Not open for further replies.