PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
417i-jxItJL._SX337_BO1204203200_-204x300.jpg

With an MA in Ancient History and Hebrew Studies, along with a PhD in Hebrew Bible and Semitic Languages, Mike had serious academic chops. But beyond that, he knew how to present complex topics in a way that was accessible and engaging to scholars and laypeople alike. And with his inquisitive mind, he was always seeking out new subjects to shine a fresh light on.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
1679840412916.png
This is my first time reading anything by Eric Foner. He is a legendary historian, and I intend to read his works on Reconstruction era American history soon, but for now I wanted lighter introduction. So far, this work has been a very fascinating collection of essays that straddle the line between memoir and historiography. With recent clashes by conservatives complaining about "woke" teachers, and leftists demanding the removal of certain monuments and statues, this book feels relevant all over again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife's been listening to "A Most Remarkable Creature" by Jonathan Melburg, and though I haven't been able to hear long stretches, it is excellent, about birds of prey, caracaras and similar raptors that exhibit remarkable intelligence. The author is steeped in the subject and all of the humans who get involved with these birds, and presents many stories in a riveting way.

My wife liked it so well, she ordered a copy in print, and I believe I'll go back and read the whole thing. One bird was named Tina and would engage her people in all kinds of games, steeling the keys to the aviary and nipping their ears if they didn't deliver treats. She could discern shapes and deliver selected toys on verbal commands. It is always a question about who is training who. It seemed apparent that Tina stayed with the people because she found it pleasant, not because she couldn't get away. She liked having a staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.