PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I finished Coal Black Sea, by Stuart Heaver.

Three large British armored cruisers, the HMS Aboukir, Hogue and Cressy, we’re sunk by submarine attack off the Dutch cost with awful loss of life in September 1914, while Winston Churchill was First Lord of the Admiralty.

Churchill survived that political crisis, only to be removed after the far greater disaster at the Dardanelles and Gallapoli.

Churchill had political enemies, but in 1914 the mainstream press was loyal to the Crown and there was no populist sensationalist press, as there exists today, converting anti government sentiment into cold, hard cash.

I wonder if the greatest British leader to ever speak English, could have survived a similar disaster today as the sinking of the Live Bait Squadron was in 1914?

Reactions: milk

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Although I read a lot, I haven't posted here before. Today, I will, because I just received a very kind birthday present from @scloyd!

20230306_113519.jpg

This was a most unexpected and delightful thing to receive! I love poetry (and poetic prose) of this sort, and I wax nostalgic about pipe and tobacco, so I anticipate many an enjoyable smoke over this volume.

Thank you very much, Scott! You're a thoughtful fellow!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Although I read a lot, I haven't posted here before. Today, I will, because I just received a very kind birthday present from @scloyd!

View attachment 207467

This was a most unexpected and delightful thing to receive! I love poetry (and poetic prose) of this sort, and I wax nostalgic about pipe and tobacco, so I anticipate many an enjoyable smoke over this volume.

Thank you very much, Scott! You're a thoughtful fellow!
You're welcome. You're one of the good guys. Happy Birthday.

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains

Reactions: edger and RonB

Masson

Lurker
Mar 8, 2023
I read some fiction thing and some books regarding my professional area. From fiction i would like to say that i read mostly sci-fi things

Status
Not open for further replies.