Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I don't think she has had another release
She wrote a book called "The Glass Hotel", out this year. I haven't read it.

I'm not sure she has written any more science fiction/fantasy books. Which, I guess Station 11 is maybe a fantasy.

I liked it. Mostly. Some of the longer flashbacks pulled me away from the story. I think it would have done better if it was more rooted in the current state of the aftermath, following the symphony around. There seemed to be more to explore there, but it was instead filled with flashbacks.

It was a compelling world that she created. Worth a look anyway. I just found myself skimming a lot of the flashbacks to get back into the story.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I just read a little book by Jim Dodge called 'Fup', which is also the name of the duck in the story (fupduck).

Very fun quick read, lots of laughs and some depth too....

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Currently reading the book The People, No by Thomas Frank. I can’t more highly recommend his previous book called Listen, Liberal. Has anyone else read either of those two books?

Edit: removed political comments

Last edited by a moderator:

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

So far, an interesting story about a girl living in the beginning of Nazi Germany. The narrator is death and the author explores some different storytelling techniques that are not particularly common.

Recommended read. It's a good change of pace on the narration.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am starting on the 17th Harry Dresden book by Jim Butcher title "Battle Ground". Really good series if you are young enough for it. It's Urban Fantasy or Harry Potter for grown ups. Butcher says the series will run to 25 or 26 books in total. He used to publish about one book a year then took eight years to write the 16th book.

Status
Not open for further replies.