PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon Paul

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2020
New Jersey, US
Just finished Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, which is about a flu that wipes out 95% of the world population in a few days. It was written in 2014 and reading it now was very uncomfortable. Now starting The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman.
I have not yet read guns of August. I read The Zimmerman Telegram. She has a number of books I'd like to read.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Shantideva Bodhisattvacaryavatara on compassion; coming up, Shantarakshita Madyamakalankata and Maitreya Middle Beyond Extremes, both on the Mind-Only School of Yogacara. I finished Ju Mipham's commentary on Chandrakirti's Introduction to the Middle Way, a commentary on Nagarjuna's Root Stanzas of the Middle Way, all treatises on emptiness.

• Wow
Reactions: burleyboy

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Correction: Shantarakshita's Madyamakalankata is a fusion of Yogacara and emptiness. As the classical Indian teachings filtered into Tibet, the Madyamakalankatan first took hold, but Chandrakirti's Introduction to the Middle Way prevailed.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Correction: Shantarakshita's Madyamakalankata is a fusion of Yogacara and emptiness. As the classical Indian teachings filtered into Tibet, the Madyamakalankatan first took hold, but Chandrakirti's Introduction to the Middle Way prevailed.
My hat off to you, Salted. I’ve tried reading sutras before, and I just get lost easily. I want to understand so much of how the world thinks, but I get lost in trying to just figure out whether I think or not.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Thanks Cosmic! When I post about such it is usually to the accompaniment of a thundering silence. Your difficulty was also mine for most of my life.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Reading a couple of books right now. Just started reading at the existentialist café by Sarah Bakewell as well as starting to re-read one of my favorites, los detectives salvajes by Roberto Bolaño.

After a discussion in a thread that was closed. @workman had suggested a story called Mr Know-All, so I merely called a friend (who if I don't haver it, he will) and he delivered this book to me yesterday. And, it has that story, but there are so many acclaimed stories by this author in here, that I will probably just tear through the whole thing.
image0 (1).jpeg

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
After a discussion in a thread that was closed. @workman had suggested a story called Mr Know-All, so I merely called a friend (who if I don't haver it, he will) and he delivered this book to me yesterday. And, it has that story, but there are so many acclaimed stories by this author in here, that I will probably just tear through the whole thing.
View attachment 43758
"The Razor's Edge" remains one of my favorite novels. I'm not familiar with his short stories so I'd appreciate your recommendations /reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.