PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a huge fan of Archer and all of his series.

The Clifton Chronicles was excellent:

The new series "William Warwick" also starts out well.

Another Jeff Archer: "Heads You Win". Pageturner about Russian refugees (mother and son) during the Cold War who escape from Leningrad on a cargo vessel. Before the escape, they flip a coin to decide which ship they choose, and the novel tells both possible stories alternately. Surprise ending but no spoilers.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
I'm a huge fan of Archer and all of his series.

The Clifton Chronicles was excellent:

The new series "William Warwick" also starts out well.
I also like most novels, though I must confess that the Clifton Chronicles are a bit epic for my taste. I like Sons of Fortune, As the Crow Flies, Not a Penny more, Not a Penny Less best, and the Prison Diaries are quite impressive.

I'm also curious about the Warwick stuff. Going to start that one as well.

Btw, his Lordship is also quite an interesting bloke himself, according to his CV he also pulled off quite some stuff in his life...

Reactions: Bowie

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Btw, his Lordship is also quite an interesting bloke himself, according to his CV he also pulled off quite some stuff in his life...

His Wikipedia page sure makes for some interesting reading.

Back when I was 19 I was tasked with cleaning out a storage unit that had been abandoned after the tennants had passed away. Among the rubbish (broken furniture, moldy clothes and chipped china) I found Kane and Abel and First among equals. Great reads!

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Thomas Becket: Warrior, Priest, Rebel, by John Guy. It is a good read so far. Guy did a good job setting up the backgrounds of both Becket and Henry II.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Two thirds of the way through Lindbergh by A. Scott Berg.
Well written and interesting.
Gives nuance and depth to the image of Charles Lindbergh.

cvr9781442365919_9781442365919_hr.jpg

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Starting on Bukowski with Post Office, and rereading Jim Harrison's Warlock and one of his books of poetry.

Don't sleep on his poetry. Love is a Dog From Hell is a great one.

If you haven't yet, check out the movie Barfly staring Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway, based on Bukowski's life.

Then read Hollywood, Bukowski's novel based on the making of the movie based on his life. Can't make this shit up. The man was an old sly fox.

SeniorAMG

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2020
Haiku, Maui
Re-Reading Papa's The Sun Also Rises. Gawd I can't wait for it to end. Enjoyed him much more in my 20-30's. Now... Ugh. I'm beginning to understand why one of my literature professors said Hemingway was overrated.

Reactions: Gecko

SeniorAMG

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2020
Haiku, Maui
Don't sleep on his poetry. Love is a Dog From Hell is a great one.

If you haven't yet, check out the movie Barfly staring Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway, based on Bukowski's life.

Then read Hollywood, Bukowski's novel based on the making of the movie based on his life. Can't make this shit up. The man was an old sly fox.

Buk is a favorite. Not all of his stuff is gold. But when he nails it, it's perfection.
I have a bluebird tattoo on my chest... homage to one of his poems. (
)

The prize of my collection...
IMG_2233.jpegIMG_2234.jpeg

Reactions: autumnfog

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Halfway through Travels in Alaska by Johan Muir.
Mr. Muirs great enthusiasm for nature really comes across and is quite contagious.

Alaska.jpg

Also comes with some practical advice. According to Mr. Muir it's good to be adopted and given a name by a native american tribe before setting forth into the Alaskan wilderness, as this will decrease the risk of being robbed and murdered ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.