PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Have finished and thoroughly enjoyed the Flashman Papers. I plan to eventually revisit sir Harry in Tom Browns School Days and the American. But for the moment I feel that a short break from the lovable scoundrel is in order.

I have now picked up Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow. I'm only a couple of chapters into it but it seems extremely well researched and written. Highly entertaining and educational so far.

51aP1dzIZxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Bowie

MicahClarke

Lurker
Jun 6, 2020
The Man on a Donkey by H.F.M. Prescott

It's a historical fiction which chronicles the protestant reformation and dissolution of catholic monasteries in 16th century England.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Ulysses by James Joyce

Not the easiest novel to read although I did manage it on the 3rd attempt 10 years ago; just felt it was time to re-read it... ...this could take some time!

Reactions: burleyboy and Bowie

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
To Wake The Giant: A Novel of Pearl Harbor.
Historical fiction told from three perspectives.Pretty good so far.

dkmdvm

Lurker
Feb 7, 2020
My daughter just gave me a copy of "When Breath Becomes Air" by
Paul Kalanithi. Probably start it this weekend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just finished hearing the audio book of Ron Chernow's "Grant." Grant died of throat cancer probably induced by the twenty cigars a day he had smoked for decades. Chernow does an excellent job of invigorating his painful departure by emphasizing his brave persistence in finishing his autobiography almost to his last days, to raise money for his family. He's a wonderfully enigmatic person, trotted off to Westpoint by his dominating father; thrown out of the Army officer corps for his alcohol problem, and only readmitted because of the Civil War need for trained officers. Equally wonderful is his immense undying love for his seemingly provincial and dowdy wife Julia, who was the antidote to his alcohol problem, and from whom he never strayed. As people realized as he rose through the command structure, and even in writing his book, he had mastered every bit of his Westpoint military training while being a completely mediocre cadet. He knew his stuff going back to battles of ancient Greece. And when young, he was an unparalleled horsemen, which caused the Army to not assign him to the cavalry, predictably. Who is buried in Grant's Tomb? (His wife Julia is there with him. Biggest mausoleum in the U.S.)

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Just finished hearing the audio book of Ron Chernow's "Grant." Grant died of throat cancer probably induced by the twenty cigars a day he had smoked for decades. Chernow does an excellent job of invigorating his painful departure by emphasizing his brave persistence in finishing his autobiography almost to his last days, to raise money for his family. He's a wonderfully enigmatic person, trotted off to Westpoint by his dominating father; thrown out of the Army officer corps for his alcohol problem, and only readmitted because of the Civil War need for trained officers. Equally wonderful is his immense undying love for his seemingly provincial and dowdy wife Julia, who was the antidote to his alcohol problem, and from whom he never strayed. As people realized as he rose through the command structure, and even in writing his book, he had mastered every bit of his Westpoint military training while being a completely mediocre cadet. He knew his stuff going back to battles of ancient Greece. And when young, he was an unparalleled horsemen, which caused the Army to not assign him to the cavalry, predictably. Who is buried in Grant's Tomb? (His wife Julia is there with him. Biggest mausoleum in the U.S.)
"And when young, he was an unparalleled horsemen, which caused the Army to not assign him to the cavalry, predictably. " As retired Army (and a stint in the Air Force), I laughed and nodded knowingly at this statement haha.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
Another Jeff Archer: "Heads You Win". Pageturner about Russian refugees (mother and son) during the Cold War who escape from Leningrad on a cargo vessel. Before the escape, they flip a coin to decide which ship they choose, and the novel tells both possible stories alternately. Surprise ending but no spoilers.

Reactions: Bowie and Moonbog

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Another Jeff Archer: "Heads You Win". Pageturner about Russian refugees (mother and son) during the Cold War who escape from Leningrad on a cargo vessel. Before the escape, they flip a coin to decide which ship they choose, and the novel tells both possible stories alternately. Surprise ending but no spoilers.

Wow, that sounds impressive. I'll have to check that one out. Totally up my ally.

Reactions: Duke of Erinmore
Status
Not open for further replies.