Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
Finished the cigar yesterday but still working on the book:

P3Sjr9Vl.jpg

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Thanks to Jay (@mawnansmiff) I discovered a glaring hole in my erudition that I'm now rectifying by reading the cream of British literature... The Flashman Papers by George MacDonald Fraser.

20200414_175711.jpg

Reactions: tom12

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Thanks to Jay (@mawnansmiff) I discovered a glaring hole in my erudition that I'm now rectifying by reading the cream of British literature... The Flashman Papers by George MacDonald Fraser.

The Flashman Papers are some of the greatest works of fiction known to man! They should be required reading for all men. I would add that they're part of the "big four," the others being everything by Bernard Cornwell, specifically the adventures of Richard Sharpe, C.S. Forrester's Hornbower series, and Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series.

Honorable mention to Compton MacKenzie's works, especially "Monarch of the Glen," and "Whisky Galore!"

Cheers,

Chili

Last edited:

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Currently, I'm hip deep in William Shirer's "The Collapse of the Third Republic." Never in the history of man has a country so dedicated itself to destruction as France did between 1918 and 1940. Utterly shocking. Then again, they are French. :ROFLMAO:

Cheers,

Chili

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
Currently I've got Sophies World by Jostien Gaarder, Sigmund Ringeck's Knighty Arts of Combat: Sword and Buckler Fighting, Wrestling, and fighting in Armor by David Lindholm and Peter Svard, The Sworn Book of Honorious: Liber Iuratus Honorii (trans) Joseph H. Peterson and Waterloo: The Battle that Brought Down Napoleon by Jeremy Black. They should last me a couple of weeks.

Reactions: sittingbear

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Chilipalmer, I second your reading list. Should be all or part of every Freshman 101 English Lit. course too IMHO.

Reactions: chilipalmer

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A Beginning at the End - very good, set in post-pandemic San Francisco, very good!

The Andromeda Evolution. Daniel Wilson (really like some his SF), continuation of Crichton's novel.

Now reading, American Dirt, excellent. If you like Don Winslow, you'll enjoy this one.

All of those on Kindle, if you need a copy, PM me.

Reactions: bullet08

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
Just finished, and recommend: Franklin & Washington: The Founding Partnership (2020). A breezy overview of the Revolutionary War with an emphasis on two of its star players. 3.5/5 stars.

Reactions: trudger and Bowie

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just started "The Magnificent Spilsbury And The Case Of The Brides In The Bath" by Jane Robins.

Bernard Spilsbury was the real Sherlock Holmes, a forensic pathologist that solved many crimes by means of science. This particular book is the true story of a guy in 1930's England who married young ladies then drowned them in the bath for whatever money they had.

True crime at its best.

Regards,

Jay.?

Status
Not open for further replies.