PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
It's been a while since I picked up a new (to me) book and read it cover to cover, but last week I started A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson. It covers the quest to figure out the nature and the age of the universe, and all the different sciences that had to be developed over the past few centuries to answer our questions about our place in it (from Seismology to Astronomy, and pretty much every scientific discipline in between). Fascinating stuff!

Also, just finished The Monkey Wrench Gang, by Ed Abbey, for the second time. Fun read!

Reactions: JOHN72

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
He is the best! There have been some one man stage performances going around( actually before coved) one with an actor named McLean, I believe. I also like Tim Keller. Enjoy.
I am in seminary and just started a course called the Theology of C.S. Lewis. I am excited to dig into his works. I also appreciate Tim Keller. We are in the same denomination (Presbyterian Church in America).

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Reading the handful of Cadfael novels that I picked up. I listen to medieval music for atmosphere. I'm going to pick up the full set someday.

Reactions: Carol

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Done with first 6 Dune. Not sure I really want to read what his son wrote. David Wong's books will be here soon. John Dies in the End or something and first book of his new series? Heard it might have some potential for a good laugh.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Since it's almost Halloween, I picked up an old paperback I read when I was a teenager.

"Zacherley's Midnight Snacks", a collection of spooky short stories from the likes of Theodore Sturgeon and A. E. Van Vogt.

It's a fun trip down memory lane for me.

Reactions: edger

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Longchen Rabjam (Longchenpa) The Precious Treasury of the Basic Space of Phenomena and the Bodhisattvacaryavatara.

Just got wind of the value of Longchenpa a few days ago as explicating the perception of formlessness and breaking the conceptual mind. I was fortunate to find a pdf that was downloadable and amenable to being copied to my words processor, that I will edit.
But manipulating pdf's can range from difficult to impossible. This pdf when copied lost formatting such that although all the text was present,. I'm having to restore the verse lines. Still, very worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.