PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
great vids, tommy and obelus. and hobie, when the right mood hits then methaney's 80/81 is my go-to.

it was a nice departure from what i was cranking today--no work, so i figured Billie Holiday would take me where I needed to go...

redfox

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2010
@ tommy, Natalie Dawn is BEYOND amazing. Her band is called Pomplamousse if anyone wants to check them out! Really easy, light listening. My personal favorite though is CocoRosie, a freak folk group based in paris. so weird,so beautiful!! Iron and Wine also rocks the kazbah..... :D

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Well right now I'm listening to some Hirax.

Be advised that if you aren't a fan of thrash metal or metal really you probably won't dig it.

If you aren't sure what thrash metal is be sure and click play and find out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZuvNO8-4tU

bazzyt

Lurker
Mar 31, 2011
Hi everyone, just joined here and made my intro post on the intro thread...
Just had a bowl in the back garden (whereto I am banished when the briar calls), and have returned to a bottle of Old Peculiar ale and a shuffle playlist that includes Miles Davis, Cannonball Adderley, Tom Waits, Orbital, and my very favourite, THE FALL!

scott306

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2011
If I was able to actually sit down, smoke with no body bothering me, and could actually enjoy listening to some tunes, it would be Hank Snow. Not sure if any of you know or heard of his music.But he is a old school country music "legend" and makes wonderful music. He's from Nova Scotia Canada (my original home) and was/is a relative of mine.

I was never fortunate enough to meet him, but I do have pics of him with my grandmother and my father.

If it isn't Hank Snow then it is Johnny Cash.

Happy smoking! :puffy:

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
For the (real) country music fans among us, I recommend the streaming audio from www.khyi.com , one of the last independant 50,000 watt stations, broadcasting from Plano Texas.

Go to the website and click the LISTEN NOW link on the top of the skull.

Or if your in the DFW area, 95.3 FM

Its usually what I listen to, pipe smoking or not !

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have always been a big fan of the old country. Can't listen to the new pop with an accent stuff though.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
One thing I'll tell you about listening to KHYI, they dont do corporate playlists. Whatever Dj is on, plays what he likes to listen to. So the station at 10 am might sound different than the station at 2 pm. Some of the guys like the old stuff (Bob Wills, Lefty Frizzell,Marty Robbins) some of them like the outlaws (David Allen Coe, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Willie Nelson) some of them play the new guys (Corb Lund, 1100 Springs, Old Crow Medicine Show), but, its all good music.

Their station Id's say stuff like;

"KHYI. We don't play Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, or AC/DC. Because none of that is country music to us"

or,

"Most of the so called "country" stations cater their music to a 35 year old housewife demographic. Here at KHYI, we can't even spell demographic"

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Great tip on the radio, lonestar--thank you! I've had my Emmylou Harris pandora station on in heavy rotation of late. Voice of an angel, that one....

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
I actually get that station on a little hand-made radio I've had since a robotics class in 7th grade (don't ask me why they felt like they needed that class, they made me take shop that year too) lonestar.
gotta say if Garth Brooks isn't the living embodiment and perfection of the country lyric tradition nothing is though. Well, George Straight is as prolific as him, and probably better than him, but Brooks had this amazing range of styling that simply isn't matched by anyone, in any genre, and for that alone I've always thought he was a modern artist of some great note. Plus he was one of the only men who kept poetry alive through song (something every rocker since day one who wanted to be called an artist tried to say they did) Really he, Stephen King and Johnny Cash are some of the only -individuals- in all of modern America I feel can be called absolute artists.
Still, country music died the day Cash did in my humble opinion, not one good lick of song has cropped up since they put him in the ground.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Right now I'm listening to a newly discovered slower acoustic version of Seether's "Fake It". Huge change from the upbeat sarcastically poppy original version. When I'm not smoking I'm usually huge into hard rock and grunge/post-grunge. Bands like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Seether, Cold (NOT Coldplay) etc. I will listen to some country, mostly 90's and todays country, mostly 90's in r&b and hip hop, and some German music like Sha, Rammstein, Eisbrecher, Fler, Bushida, Kool Savas etc. Favorite band right now is by far Seether though. Some days I'll just set my iPod to the artist and lose myself in hours of Seether.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Still, country music died the day Cash did in my humble opinion, not one good lick of song has cropped up since they put him in the ground
Yoru, you must be listening to a different 95.3 ! Theres lots of GREAT country music out there these days, it just doesn't get any airtime on top 40 stations.
I have to admit it too, most everything I know about (good) country music, I learned from khyi.
@Scott306, I have heard them play Hank Snow from time to time
@colorduke, LOL ! I feel for you man.

Status
Not open for further replies.