PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As mentioned, I didn't spend much time with 1Q before moving on. However, I think it is true that it is a huge seller, with many pipe shops and other businesses selling it under their own names. It seems to attract and satisfy beginner and other pipe smokers and generates unending sales for Lane. It's mildness is its selling point, and it burns continuously, evenly and well for many beginners. I refrain from putting down codger blends. Their sales, distribution, availability and accessibility make them a foundation of the pipe smoking world. They may not be inspiring, but they provide a way in for those who go on to better blends.

Reactions: anotherbob

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
I like 1Q. back in the late 70s and through the 80s I smoked it regularly in many of it's rebadged forms. I still like it as far as aromatics go and usually have some on hand for when I'm in the mood for it. Only now I mix in a good amount of BCA. To me, the addition of BCA gives it more body and flavor and gives it and extra measure of bite free smoking performance. I also let it dry out a bit, just enough to take some of the stickiness out of it while not turning it into dry grass clippings.

That being said I know tastes vary and people are entitled to their opinion. So if you don't like 1Q, or you absolutely hate it,... so be it...I dislike a lot of blends out there, aromatic and English alike. I also disagree with the way some people prepare their tobacco but I also don't make a habit of broadcasting my specific dislike or disagreement just for the hell of it. That has a nasty habit of stirring up opinion based debates that really have no point or end.

Last edited:
Reactions: ormazd

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
In my limited experience over the last several months as a new piper, 1Q has become for me the ‘bread and butter’ of pipe smoking. Nothing super special, but mild, predictable and satisfying. I can see why it could not appeal to some though.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
1Q is nice by itself but not something I want to smoke all the time. It makes a pretty good blending tobacco to give some sweetness and good room note to something on the harsh side. I have a container of 50/50 1Q and Dark Fired Kentucky that I enjoy.

alexander87

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2017
Hardly anyone here would recommend 1Q. It's an alright aromatic and widely available. It is the best-selling pipe tobacco in the country though, and when people say they like "the smell of pipe tobacco" they are probably talking about 1Q.
As to what pipers on this forum would recommend, we all pretty much agree that beginners should stay away from aromatics because aros can be hard to smoke right. Beginners tend to smoke too hot and fast, which makes even a good aromatic taste like nothing but hot steam.

EXACTLY my thoughts on Molto Dolce.

Yeah. Read the site rules thread before posting.
Isn’t Captain Black the best selling tobacco in the country?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
not sure where the bragging comes from, just seems like a newbie trying to figure out the ins and outs of this hobby. Especially when there are lots of people that insist that 1q is the pipe tobacco and such other nonsense. Kind of reminds me of the way I like whiskey but one or two high end Scotches taste like burnt tar in my opinion could have caused a bit of disconcertment if I valued the opinions of experts.

M

Merton

Yikes, lighten up folks it is , after all, only pipe tobacco. If you like it , smoke it. If you don't, don't. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There is a good deal of snobbery in this hobby in some quarters. Doesn't do anybody any good. I have smoked lots of 1Q in a variety of its names. It is fine. I don't smoke it more than once per year now and I now smoke what most would call more complex blends. I do like it better than Escudo however and I celebrate all of you who find nirvana in what seems to me to me to be astringent cigarette tobacco. Perfectly great to have different tastes and, i think, really alright to say that you don't like a particular blend or pipesmoker without folks getting twisted knickers.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Yikes, lighten up folks it is , after all, only pipe tobacco. If you like it , smoke it. If you don't, don't. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There is a good deal of snobbery in this hobby in some quarters. Doesn't do anybody any good. I have smoked lots of 1Q in a variety of its names. It is fine. I don't smoke it more than once per year now and I now smoke what most would call more complex blends. I do like it better than Escudo however and I celebrate all of you who find nirvana in what seems to me to me to be astringent cigarette tobacco. Perfectly great to have different tastes and, i think, really alright to say that you don't like a particular blend or pipesmoker without folks getting twisted knickers.

I think most of the objections are more to the contrarian and somewhat confrontational nature of the original post, rather than to the preference of tobacco. Also, the original post was somewhat tone deaf in that most of us don't think very highly of 1Q and it would probably not come "highly recommended" on this forum.

I don't think it's at all an issue of elitism. I've smoked plenty of simple codger burley, enjoyed it, and posted about enjoying codger blends on here many times, yet nobody has called me any names or implied anything negative about my tastes in tobacco. It's really an issue of manners rather than tobacco preference, I suppose you could say,

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I enjoy the sentimental aroma from a pipe other than my pipe.
For me Captain Black does the same thing for me. Can't stand that one in my own pipe. But it's scent was that weird mystic scent that came along with that arcane practice of pipe smoking. And the best part is even the chared dottle they tapped out was even awesome, it smelled amazing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
1-Q is a huge best seller. It doesn't surprise me that members of Forums, who are somewhat discerning and developed in pipe smoking, wouldn't be its biggest fans.

I loved 1-Q for three days. I loved the aroma but could not taste it a lot.

I have about 1 lb of 1-Q cellared. I smoke it very rarely (about 1 bowl every 3 / 4 months).
But 1-Q is probably of higher quality in the aromatics genre - Someone recently gifted me a sample of Dark Chocolate. After 36 hours of trying to dry the tobacco, I realized it would probably never dry.

I don’t know whether it can be called an aromatic - but I enjoy sweet VA with light topping (Reiner Gold). I also somewhat enjoyed Amphora aromatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.