PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Pet peeve on tobacco forums: the use of the word "chemical" to describe some disliked taste or aftertaste. What chemical might that be? Makes me think of bleach or pesticides of some sort, and I don't get that at all on blends I loathe. Weirdness, yes, but not "chemical." The most obscene blend I can think of is Paladin Black Cherry taken straight, and even that seems not so much chemical as it is confectionery. Intense cheap syrup of some sort, like really bad candy.

But after many years of pipe smoking my taste buds may be blown to hell, and I don't know what I'm talking about. Though not primarily an aromatic smoker, I like Autumn Evening quite a bit. And Mixture No. 79. Ever heard of it? Heh.

Reactions: wulfheard and Dusk

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
1Q and blue note are the only aromatics that I like. It’s really good when mixed with some carter hall. I only pick it up in bulk form. Try it again in a year, you might change your opinion.

ormazd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2018
Virginia, USA
Pet peeve on tobacco forums: the use of the word "chemical" to describe some disliked taste or aftertaste. What chemical might that be? Makes me think of bleach or pesticides of some sort, and I don't get that at all on blends I loathe. Weirdness, yes, but not "chemical." The most obscene blend I can think of is Paladin Black Cherry taken straight, and even that seems not so much chemical as it is confectionery. Intense cheap syrup of some sort, like really bad candy.

But after many years of pipe smoking my taste buds may be blown to hell, and I don't know what I'm talking about. Though not primarily an aromatic smoker, I like Autumn Evening quite a bit. And Mixture No. 79. Ever heard of it? Heh.

Maybe 'artificial' is a better descriptor.

Reactions: lightmybriar

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As mentioned in a much earlier post, I find 1Q so-so. I think it is often regarded as a mild and safe introductory tobacco, along with Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and similar blends. It is not a big nic hit. It is not overbearing. It burns mostly evenly and well, easy to keep lit. Some people enjoy it as a regular mild blend. Others simply move on. I do not consider it controversial. No one has to like, love, or approve any blend. 1Q does one job pretty well. I smoked an ounce or two, and it didn't put me off pipes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Pet peeve on tobacco forums: the use of the word "chemical" to describe some disliked taste or aftertaste. What chemical might that be?
Well that's because you clearly haven't tasted Captain Black the way I've tasted Captain Black. Really not sure what chemical it is but I am also not sure what's in some of the cleaning products or colognes certain people wear but if a pipe tobacco reminds me of the undercurrent of Quat-Stat that's some type of chemical taste.

Reactions: olkofri

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Sticking to my guns on this one: yes, chemical and not artificial. Soda is artificial: tastes good. Glue is chemical: can't tell you about taste because I'm not crazy enough to dip my finger in Barge cement and lick it. Chemical because it does taste like those products one's not s'posed to eat—cleaning products, pesticides, you name it, although I have to be honest and say I've yet to find a blend with a Javex aftertaste.

Reactions: anotherbob

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
A matter of precision: all matter is composed of chemicals. But screw it, as long as the tabak is not radioactive or something, call it what you will. I got a sample of 1Q free with my first order ever from Smoking Pipes years ago. Thought it was friggin' nectar. That lasted for about the first two bowls. Then it did the warm perfumed air thing and I was done with it. Molto Dolce is horrible in my opinion. My current absolute favorite is SWRA. It's loaded with booze. Four different kinds or something. Chemicals, but rather tasty ones.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I don’t like that shit neither!

Get some C&D Haunted Bookshop, C&D Buffalo Soldier and C&D Dreams of Kadath. Smoke these and call us in the morning.

Reactions: yohanan

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019

chemical is not a good word to use when describing something but "weirdness" is? noted. ha

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Chemical is a fine term to use when describing a flavor. We all know what it means and we're classifying a flavor not writing a dissertation. You know the way a tomato is botanically classified as fruit, but culinary classified as a vegetable. You know cause context is just as important as the straight definition of a word. Second example if you're lover calls you her little boy that's fine, if I call you my little boy that's fighting words. So chemical taste is apt and has more clarity and specificity then weird or artificial would in that context.

Chemical is a fine term to use when describing a flavor.
I have absolutely no idea what "chemical" would mean, and I am not writing a dissertation. Acidic, yeasty, metallic, salty, alcohol, etc.. are things I would relate to, but if someone said that so-and-so tasted chemically, I would have no idea what they meant. That would be like someone telling me that something tasted like music, or it kind of tastes like architecture.
I have no doubt in my mind that you associate some flavors with chemicals, but I have no idea what that would taste like.

I am merely trying to help us all understand better, not trying to be a jerk.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
cosmicfolklore that's all great. Just felt like I had to say it's o.k. to use a term as in despite the fact that technically everything is made of chemicals for example I am 58% nicotine for example, a chemical taste is a common term that is generally understood. Mainly cause some people seemed to get the impression they should nix that descriptor from their vocab. Where it's really just a personal taste thing. Or in other words you are all good on this front.

M

Merton

Many of us progress from Captain Black to 1Q. If folks did not enjoy the blend, then it would not continue to be so popular. While i no longer smoke 1Q I do have some in my cellar. For a blend which is similar but much better, albeit more expensive, try Peretti's 432. A bit richer and not so artificial. Also Dan tobacco's Milonga is a very good vanilla/caramel aromtic with high quality tobacco which you can taste and a bit more strength.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
How is this thread still going? Some contrarian comes in and posts that he doesn't like 1Q to try and stir the pot, the pot remains unstirred because none of us care a whit about 1Q, yet here we are four pages later.

¯\:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.