PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'll just throw another out there that sucks, Autumn Evening... Blech!!! smell like a damn sweaty fat man's tshirt after eating a whole stack of pancakes. Am I the only one who is willing to point out that the emperor wears no clothes on this one?

One of a few maybe. I have several pounds of Autumn Evening in the closet and greatly enjoy it. And I'm sure you don't smell that bad after eating a stack of pancakes.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
For me it's neither my fave-favorite nor my least. It's OK but there are many others I like much better. I'm mostly with Tom (mso); I find it bland. However temper that with the knowledge that I'm a fan of full-flavored blends & also straight Latakia. ;)

Bill

Reactions: anotherbob

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
Your premise is wrong.
In general, it is advised to not start a thread with what you don't like. And use capitalization, please.
as a "preferred member" of the forum, ill respect your opinion. However prior to starting the hobby i researched quite a bit and most forums and multiple B&Ms recommended 1-Q very highly, specifically for a novice smoker. Also, as a side note, multiple people noted the error i made in the thread title. beating a dead horse by again stating it. whatever makes you sleep better at night.

However prior to starting the hobby i researched quite a bit and most forums and multiple B&Ms recommended 1-Q very highly, specifically for a novice smoker.
There are things that remain in the pipe mythos, because people are basically uncreative non-thinkers. If you had of searched this forum, you'd have found that we never recommend aromatics to new members. First off you can't taste them, and end up burning your tongue trying to. They do smell aromatic to everyone in the room, except the pipesmoker. (of course chasingembers will come along and tell us that HE tastes them. Just smile and nod. It just makes forum life easier)
Most recommend English blends because of the ease of smoking them and the flavors. You can return to aromatics after you have experience and a lobotomy. ::puffy::

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
For me 1Q is like Nightcap and MM965, much better from the tin than in bulk form.
However, when it comes to vanilla aromatics, I'd much rather smoke Trout Stream or Vanilla Custard.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Pro Tip = Mix a little Vanilla Custard with your Plum Pudding to achieve sweet and smokey nirvana.

Reactions: bnichols23

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
multiple people noted the error i made in the thread title. beating a dead horse by again stating it. whatever makes you sleep better at night.

To be fair not all of us read all the comments before making our own, so there's almost always going to be some duplication (a little or a lot) in the forums. We usually just bypass as "jes' the way things is." :) Plus, John (jpm), Tom (mso), Warren, & Cosmic I & a few others are just Really Old Guys who'll jump in with our opinions no matter what anybody else's said, &.... Oops, wait, never mind, people like mike(thompson), hap(arnold), Jesse (sablebrush52), Frank (alaskanpiper), & bunch of the rest do it too, so.... :ROFLMAO:

Bill

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And my comment about capitalization had to do with the body of his texts. Capitalizing proper names, and beginning sentences with a capital makes for easier reading. Looks better, too.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
as a "preferred member" of the forum, ill respect your opinion. However prior to starting the hobby i researched quite a bit and most forums and multiple B&Ms recommended 1-Q very highly, specifically for a novice smoker. Also, as a side note, multiple people noted the error i made in the thread title. beating a dead horse by again stating it. whatever makes you sleep better at night.

You said, "Obviously 1-Q comes highly recommended from just about everyone but i have to say it is not for me at all." when it's just the opinion of some clerks at random tobacco shops. Quite different from just about everyone, no?

As to the horse, see my post just above. And "Preferred Member" just means I have x number of posts and y time on the forum; it doesn't confer respect.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Over ninety percent of pipe tobacco sales are aromatics, so though my favorites are mostly non-aromatics, there are plenty of aromatics to choose from, something for most everyone if you sample around. But you have to find your own favorites, and indeed most may not be for you.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
1-Q is the safe bet when making a recommendation to a person you don't know who you have no idea what their taste is. Kind of reminds me of how Budweiser is one of the best selling beers. Doesn't mean it's the best just means it's less likely to be grossly offensive to a variety of palates. I hope that makes sense. Often popular means nothing more then a larger group of people find something o.k.. A song might sell a billion copies, but how many of those billions really got deeply moved by that song????

Reactions: rdoss16
Status
Not open for further replies.