PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The response to this original post should serve as an example, you can't assume you know what the membership here thinks, generally or individually. As I have learned with some of my posts, you simply can't anticipate what you'll get back, so I try to skirt any generalizations whatever. Everyone's been battered (and massaged) by life in different ways, and we each of a separate gene pool. Posting is excellent exercise for speaking to groups. Don't assume much. People are full of surprises.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Obviously 1-Q comes highly recommended from just about everyone but i have to say it is not for me at all.
Your premise is wrong.
In general, it is advised to not start a thread with what you don't like. And use capitalization, please.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Cosmic,

I will go even further and say that every C&D aromatic blend I have tried, with the exception of Jolly Old St. Nick, tastes like cardboard with syrup! I will be told that I am too new to pipe smoking to pick up the “nuances” in these blends but I call B.S. I have tried plenty of blends and can pick up the flavors and aromas just fine! In addition C&D Virginias suck too! There I said it!!!

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Well folks, I'm pleased to see that some people hold my opinions. For the longest time here I felt like I was a philistine for never ever having enjoyed 1Q.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Back in the day, I had a lot of fun with 1-Q and a cob.
Nowadays, the cob is a rarity and the 1-Q is a never. I've found much better ways in which to blow the kids' inheritance.

Reactions: trouttimes

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have never liked 1-Q. I've tried it a few times and yes I get a weird flavor under all the other o.k. flavors. And while subtle I can't ignore it either. Not sure what that is or why it tastes like that no matter how good my technique gets. No point in trying to enjoy a blend cause you've heard good things about, when there are plenty of other blends to enjoy. That is one of the wonderful things about pipes is there is real genuine diversity in flavors and blends and oh yeah in pipe smokers and what they look for when smoking. Best to enjoy this hobby learn as much as you can to aid enjoyment and keep in mind we're just burning leaves in a hunk of wood so not worth getting up tight about it all.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Autumn Evening... Blech!!! smell like a damn sweaty fat man's tshirt after eating a whole stack of pancakes. Am I the only one who is willing to point out that the emperor wears no clothes on this one?
I agree, but have you seen the C&D video about the making of GLP Union Square? They interview some of the tobacco workers, presumably to reveal their deep commitment and understanding of Virginia plugs, instead they start talking about Autumn Evening and how it's everyone's favorite smoke at C&D! Talk about looking like a bunch of hayseeds...

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
1Q is not for me either. It was my first blend and I actually gave up pipes for about a year.
C&D Virginia’s are okay. There are better options though.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
haha now im second guessing that autumn evening order i just put in. luckily i only ordered an oz to try. i love hearing everyones different opinions and descriptions of certain blends

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
“As to what pipers on this forum would recommend, we all pretty much agree that beginners should stay away from aromatics because aros can be hard to smoke right. Beginners tend to smoke too hot and fast, which makes even a good aromatic taste like nothing but hot steam”

I actually would recommend starting with aromatics. It’s a lot easier to get tongue bite with them, so if you can stick with them and get the cadence down so they don’t bite then you can smoke just about anything. Once you get to that point then branch out to Va’s/VaPers/Balkans/English/Burleys. After a while with them revisit the aromatics and they’re a completely different experience.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Can’t say I care for 1-Q much either. The tin note is nice but the the smoke taste doesn’t agree with me. Most of my tobaccos are natural. However I do have some unopened Autumn Evening tins. Not sure when I will smoke it. I think Cosmic just extended the grand opening.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Way back when I started that was my main smoke for years as my B&M didn’t have much more than Lane blends. It did force me to learn to smoke slow and cool. Trying it again many years later it was enormously underwhelming.

Starting with 1-Q is like learning to fly in a taildragger, bad technique is quickly punished.

M

Marindas

I haven't smoked 1Q for a few years and found that, for me, it had a bit too much of a chemical taste. However, I recently tried The Country Squire's Cherokee and found it to have the same flavor profile with a more natural taste.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Heh, I think we need a list of Lane's counterblends that taste more natural. The chemical aftertastes are a real put off—heck, I don't smoke OTCs for that reason.

Maybe Lane's are really OTCs... :unsure:

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I'm not an aromatic smoker, generally, but I had some old 1-Q that dried out in a baggie someone had sent me. Some aromatics mellow out after time and allow the tobacco to come through a little more. I could see why someone would come back to this blend. Not every aromatic will do that--mellow with time. I'm not sure what fresh 1-Q tastes like.

Status
Not open for further replies.