PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
im fairly new to the hobby and im in the "try everything i can get my hands on" stage. Obviously 1-Q comes highly recommended from just about everyone but i have to say it is not for me at all. Someone had mentioned the room note being "old lady perfume on cardboard" and man did that stick with me. I always get a "artificial" taste from this blend. tin note is great and i love the smell. with it being available everywhere i wish i DID like it, but alas, on to the next blend.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Try a couple GLP blends like Haddos Delight, Sixpence, and Cairo.
Also dont forget to capitalize the first letter of every word in your thread titles.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Put it aside for a while and come back to it. My hunch is that as you improve and develop your technique you will find the flavor profile will change. Smoked too fast/hot, 1-q can be a hot steamy mess that does not taste good at all. Packed properly and smoked cool, it can be an enjoyable smoke. However, it may or may not ever hit the spot for you, and that is okay.

Reactions: kg.legat0

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
good thoughts @jojoc. ill revisit it down the road and see how it changes for me

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
What jojoc said. Aromatics are many new pipe smoker’s dream and can be the hardest to tame. The second pipe I ever bought was my least favorite of the collection until 1-Q. I packed a bowl in there after not smoking the pipe for probably a year. Absolute bliss. The pipe is now dedicated to this fantastic blend.
j/B

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Try Sutliff Molto Dolce. It is everything I ever hoped 1Q would be. I don't dislike 1Q though, it's a decent aro.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I totally agree with your assessment that 1-Q has an 'artificial' taste. But I'm not a fan of aromatics in general

Reactions: perdurabo

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Hardly anyone here would recommend 1Q. It's an alright aromatic and widely available. It is the best-selling pipe tobacco in the country though, and when people say they like "the smell of pipe tobacco" they are probably talking about 1Q.
As to what pipers on this forum would recommend, we all pretty much agree that beginners should stay away from aromatics because aros can be hard to smoke right. Beginners tend to smoke too hot and fast, which makes even a good aromatic taste like nothing but hot steam.
Try Sutliff Molto Dolce. It is everything I ever hoped 1Q would be. I don't dislike 1Q though, it's a decent aro.
EXACTLY my thoughts on Molto Dolce.
rdoss16: I trust you're not a fan of the site owner's rules either. Pity.
Yeah. Read the site rules thread before posting.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've been craving 1-Q recently, actually, after trying Lane's LBWB. It's also the one I started piping with, so nostalgia plays a part.
All that being said, Lane's hardly my favourite due to their blends being quite notorious for chemical aftertastes and, yeah, tasting artificial. I've never had more than two bowls of the same Lane's blend in a row (even when this 'row' is a week between said bowls); I fail to see how Lane's could be an 'all day smoke'.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I started with some tobacco forward aromatics from Tinder Box, but later went entirely to non-aromatics, then added back some aromatics in rotation for a change of pace. 1-Q struck me first as an extremely mild blend, but a little bland and tame. For a while I liked it's Lane brother blend L-7. Now neither is pleasing, the one too bland, the other too sweet. Neither is bad, just not what I enjoy most. I still have some 1-Q in a small jar, likely to be mixed with some stronger leaf.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
One of my favorite aromatics is from Lane - Macanudo. It is NOT a cigar leaf blend, but a light aromatic with unnoticeable nicotine and a light vanilla flavor. I prefer it over 1-Q myself. It is a smooth, cool smoking and delicious blend. Still has a hint of peppery tobacco to it. I suggest you give that a try if you are trying to stay close to 1-Q but find it lacking something else you need in an aro...

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've been a pipe smoker since 1972 and I could care less about 1-Q. It's okay but I'm not going to spend the money to buy it. As for it being the "best selling" tobacco I attribute that to the large number of brick & mortar stores that buy it in bulk and rename it when they put it in the jar.
And, yes, you should read the rules about capitalization.

Reactions: perdurabo
1Q sucks! The problem is that so many people are afraid to say what they think when they find an aromatic that sucks, because when we do, we get jumped for being aromatic haters. So, then you are left with the market looking like everyone loves something. I'll just throw another out there that sucks, Autumn Evening... Blech!!! smell like a damn sweaty fat man's tshirt after eating a whole stack of pancakes. Am I the only one who is willing to point out that the emperor wears no clothes on this one?

There are aromatics that I love though, even vanilla. But, 1Q just doesn't ring my bell.

Status
Not open for further replies.