Titanic Tour Sub Missing. Remarks/Questions.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
ANY time there's significant risk, a for-profit company running the show makes me nervous.

After a market has been established, business is pretty much defined as endless corner-cutting and cost saving.

I don't know a damn thing about the particulars of this disaster, but a dollar sez when the investigation is complete that greed/money/tightwad-ness was the root cause in some way.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I just watched a few videos about this scenario and a couple of things stick out.

1. The CEO didn’t want 50 year old experienced white guys designing and building the vessel

2. The had college grads and a surfer building it.

3. They cut every corner known to man.

4. They used an experimental design.

5. The end of the unit used for ingress and egress is BOLTED in place.

6. Apollo 1 disaster is relevant as are lessons ignored.

7. Waiver explicitly stated death is an option

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I just watched a few videos about this scenario and a couple of things stick out.

1. The CEO didn’t want 50 year old experienced white guys designing and building the vessel

What could possibly go wrong? (blue font)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013

This ^^^^ sort of shit is why humans cannot have nice things.

1 -- Political correctness + ego

2 -- Save $$$

3 -- Save $$$

4 -- Ego so big physics was told to take a hike

5 -- Save $$$

6 -- Ego so big history was told to take a hike

7 -- (Sad but necessary)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve been looking up ways to get a deep diving sub out to the site.

The Alvin (I remember reading about it in grade school almost sixty years ago) is still in service at Wood’s Hole. It could reach the lost submersible, and it maybe,
might hook on to it.

The problem with that idea, is Alvin’s service ship only goes 11 knots and it’s over 400 miles away.

They should have left yesterday, to have any chance of making it.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Regarding the structure itself, it would appear it was designed in consult with NASA. At least as far as structural design goes, that's at least some due diligence you'd think.

The video game controller part though is pretty.......odd.

Reactions: bullet08

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
There is little doubt the missing Titan will not eventually be found.

The members of the Scottish tradition Christian Church have for generations been used as helmsmen on capital ships.
Our little church at Humansville lost a boy on the the Thresher in 1963 and the Scorpion in 1968. No bodies were recovered but the wrecks were located.

(On both occasions my mother shook me violently and made me promise to never volunteer to steer a submarine. I kept my word.)

The Titan is small, and has grab hooks.

Eventually they’ll raise her, from the depths.

When I was a child we sang this old lullaby about the Titanic. It’s truly a part hillbilly culture to be fascinated with Titanic.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
So write the "news" agencies. The lawsuit(s) only covered termination justification. I've not seen any reporting with regard to the disposition of the case nor the validity of the allegations. So, incomplete story makes it "click bait" in my mind. I want to see the conclusions. And, were the dismissal allegations addressed by the manufacturer at a later date. Way too little information, in my opinion, to draw any conclusion as to how the suit is important to the condition of the vessel yesterday.

I dearly love it if news agencies would revert back to "who, what, when, where and why" rather than "what makes people click?" I know ... I know, clicks sell ads.
As someone who spent 21 years as a photojournalist at a major metropolitan daily, I can tell you that the era of expecting responsible, professional journalism is in it's waning moments. There isn't the money anymore to do journalism properly, and political bias has destroyed the will to do it properly. That said, I see this as a story who's conclusion is either unknowable (suit settled out of court) or there aren't the resources to do the job properly and report the entire story. Or they were so rushed to keep the news flow going that they reported the story prematurely (and incompletely). I don't see click-bait here, but to me, an incomplete reporting job is even worse than that because it lowers the veracity of everything that news organization does. Does anyone expect honest reporting anymore? Does anyone think that it matters? Does anyone think that honesty and veracity matter anymore? Is there any such thing as "the truth"? Or facts?

As my wife (another newspaper refugee) says: "The truth is so...yesterday".

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A half century ago when I was in college we were required to subscribe to The New York Times. But they told us the most unbiased paper was The Christian Science Monitor.

This entire story about the missing submersible is mind candy, if it bleeds it leads, news entertainment. My Amish renter will never know about it.

What’s needed is a modern Captain Sir Arthur Roston commanding some modern day Carpathia at flank speed to the rescue.

Give mothers a hero their little ones can admire, even if they arrive too late.

We sort of know that 9 am Thursday this becomes a recovery and not a rescue, but until then not one stone should be left unturned to save those people.

Reactions: bullet08 and romaso

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Is there any such thing as "the truth"? Or facts?

Absolutely 100% yes.

No need to track it down, or worry about it in any way.

You will be informed of facts as necessary:

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 10.20.44 PM.png

And periodically your understanding of them will evaluated in group meetings:

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 10.17.18 PM.png

If that understanding is determined to be lacking in some way, you will be tested:

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 10.26.53 PM.png

And if you fail that test, you will be encouraged to re-evaluate your conclusions regarding the veracity of those facts:

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 10.29.03 PM.png

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yes, absolutely...but not from any organization within the corporate/government "mainstream" media cartel.
I have some semblance of trust only in those news sources that have proven themselves over time. Most “alternative” news sources are worse than even the MSM.

Read widely, think critically, go to primary sources, trust your instinct, but be open to your presuppositions being incorrect.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I have some semblance of trust only in those news sources that have proven themselves over time.
"Trust" is not the issue for me when it comes to "news sources". There are some that I suppose I "trust" are sincerely trying to get at the truth, but that doesn't mean they're always correct.

But I certainly do not trust those who have proven themselves over time to be intentional, calculating liars and paid shills and propagandists. And sometimes even much worse than any of those things.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Absolutely 100% yes.

No need to track it down, or worry about it in any way.

You will be informed of facts as necessary:

View attachment 228714

And periodically your understanding of them will evaluated in group meetings:

View attachment 228713

If that understanding is determined to be lacking in some way, you will be tested:

View attachment 228715

And if you fail that test, you will be encouraged to re-evaluate your conclusions regarding the veracity of those facts:

View attachment 228716
ENCOURAGED 😂

Reactions: bullet08

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Just by accident I happened to come across a link to this article just a moment ago...I have no idea as to the accuracy of it but perhaps there's still hope for those on this sub:

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland

The weird thing about the above is that the passengers are very rich, and probably very smart people.
Rich and/or smart people don't let things go to chance and wing it otherwise they wouldn't have gotten where they are. You'd expect that they would have had someone check this stuff on their behalf given their lives would be at risk. It really doesn't make sense to me.
In any way, they are humans at sea, I hope they are found safe and sound.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Though I wish this story has a happy ending, I've a feeling it will be anything but. I find it astonishing that they can 'lose' the capsule what with all the technology involved....notwithstanding the games controller :rolleyes:.

I'll bet Hollywood scriptwriters are already busy hammering away at their keyboards to create the next 'blockbuster movie' based upon this.

Regards,

Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.