Titanic Tour Sub Missing. Remarks/Questions.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
When i was 16 my mother was walking down a sidewalk one morning and an asshole cut the corner into a parking lot, wasn't paying attention at all, hit and killed my mother. There are more dangerous things out there every single day and you have literally zero control over them.

Maybe they found a Stargate and are on the adventure of a lifetime or maybe they are dead, either way I still have to go to work and pay the bills.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
When i was 16 my mother was walking down a sidewalk one morning and an asshole cut the corner into a parking lot, wasn't paying attention at all, hit and killed my mother. There are more dangerous things out there every single day and you have literally zero control over them.

Maybe they found a Stargate and are on the adventure of a lifetime or maybe they are dead, either way I still have to go to work and pay the bills.
Yep, my wife was watching GMA and they were on and on about this yet again and that's always been the way of it, but same here - don't want anyone to perish, plenty of more personal situations out there every bit as important to those dealing with them, but if I hear any more about this it will either be from this thread or because I hear it at random, not really following with any interest honestly.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Doing my part to steer this back into the ditch for a second.... Taco Smell isn't that bad if you're rolling the dice on fast food. I do try to keep it to the meatless items though. Beans and rice with some processed cheese don't concern me nearly as much as fast food mystery meat.

This sub situation, what a nightmare and I'm sure the thought that this was a possibility crossed their minds before they submerged. Imagine the "oh shit, I knew it" feeling.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Considerable moneys being spent and lives being risked in the search for three sightseers and a crewman. I have a lower regard for people who needlessly put themselves at risk than most. Not much different than people who choose to smoke and then expect their neighbors' tax moneys to provide health care. Or, a mountain climber expecting all available resources to rescue him. But, the "optics" of this and similar scenarios require such expenditures and sending people on risky missions. We humans are an interesting and diverse bunch!

The world still turns and moves on regardless.
People, "by and large" are most concerned about their own lives. The fleeting headlines of disasters are only of passing interest for most of the uninvolved requiring at most, a donation or, for many, a flip of the page/channel.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
From listening to latest update, even if they find the submersible, chances of rescue is slim to none. No equipments known to operate that deep. So, basically, they are spending tax money to show that they tried. I would expect nothing less. Unless, of course, the missing individuals can't afford to go on a skinny dipping for $250,000 a head.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
captpat, the voice of experience. In Navy boot camp, submarine service was offered as a voluntary option. They pointed out that part of the training was being ejected from a water lock at the bottom of a very tall tower full of water and swimming to the top without a scuba tank. In other words, hold your breath for a long time or drown.

I declined that offer, deciding I'd rather keep my head above water if possible. I ended up on a 174 ft. minesweeper, MSO 489, a different kind of small ship. We went through a typhoon and eventually sailed back across the Pacific to Long Beach, Calif. Shipmates used to kid me about liking rough seas, which in fact I somewhat did.

You're right about it being unforgiving. If one thing goes wrong, three things can go wrong, and then you are in real trouble.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
hold your breath for a long time or drown.
If you take a breath at depth and hold it as you rise to the surface ... you die! You expel air taken a depth as you rise. Basic SCUBA, lesson one. Lungs filled at lower pressure, depth, will expand as you lower the pressure when surfacing. Good thing you passed on sub duty. Actually, the instructors would have trained you properly for an emergency ascent so, you'd most likely survived as divers would have stopped your ascent if they didn't observe bubbles from you nose and mouth.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
That looks like a giant Electrolux vacuum cleaner.
Which is exactly why it must suck to be the unlucky fools aboard.

It's one thing to be aboard one of these deep sea submersible crafts when you are military or a researcher. A lot of money was spent on the R&D, engineering, construction and sea trials of those machines. A lot more money is spent of maintenance, safety checks and crew training. When it turns into a for-profit scheme, where every expense is money out of the investor's pocket, the safety margin is imperiled.

Last edited:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Regarding the public's appetite for high profile and/or "exotic/glamourous demise", I imagine $$$ is what drives it. (Used to be newspaper sales and Nielsen ratings, today it's clicks)

Remember the little girl who disappeared in Europe 16 years ago, Madeleine McCann? Updates on that story appear in the news to this day. Or JonBenet Ramsey? Ditto. More recently it was Gabby Petito's story that took over the front page for a month.

Untold thousands might die in a typhoon or tsunami, or dozens in a "routine" plane crash, but the anonymous public wants the tragedies IT cares about to be compelling, relatable, dramatic, and personal.

The Titanic sub makes that needle jump a bit.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If you take a breath at depth and hold it as you rise to the surface ... you die! You expel air taken a depth as you rise. Basic SCUBA, lesson one. Lungs filled at lower pressure, depth, will expand as you lower the pressure when surfacing. Good thing you passed on sub duty. Actually, the instructors would have trained you properly for an emergency ascent so, you'd most likely survived as divers would have stopped your ascent if they didn't observe bubbles from you nose and mouth.

The two brothers who lived across the street from me until a month ago would have no worries. No scuba gear necessary for them to dive to ANY depth. One gulp of air and they'd be ready to go. I bet their lungs could hold 50,000 psi, no problem.

One was four years old, the other six.

How do I know? Their yelling stripped the paint off cars at thirty feet, and could shatter glass at a hundred. In fact, some NASA techs showed up to try to measure the SPL and their instruments exploded.

Navy Chief

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2022
Regarding the public's appetite for high profile and/or "exotic/glamourous demise", I imagine $$$ is what drives it. (Used to be newspaper sales and Nielsen ratings, today it's clicks)

Remember the little girl who disappeared in Europe 16 years ago, Madeleine McCann? Updates on that story appear in the news to this day. Or JonBenet Ramsey? Ditto. More recently it was Gabby Petito's story that took over the front page for a month.

Untold thousands might die in a typhoon or tsunami, or dozens in a "routine" plane crash, but the anonymous public wants the tragedies IT cares about to be compelling, relatable, dramatic, and personal.

The Titanic sub makes that needle jump a bit.
If JonBenet Ramsey had been a kid living in a trailer park in Commerce City instead of a beautiful rich kid from an upscale Boulder neighborhood she never would have made it past the local news for one night if it even got that much. People are fascinated by the fact that rich and successful suffer the same as everybody else.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Other aspects of submarine duty are that you don't get out into open air for long periods of time and the spaces are fairly restrictive, which would get a little claustrophobic over time even if you aren't prone to that ordinarily.

I think taller people are handicapped because of all the low hanging gear.

I don't think there were any guarantees, but I do believe the submarine service upgrades the food service so the crews eat really well. In my experience, Navy food in general is better than average, better than you get at a standard diner or cafeteria. I never had any complaints, and we had some really (really) long deployments. Though, of course, the coffee is terrible.

I always liked it on the mess decks when the bridge came over the speaker and said, "Stand by for heavy rolls." Meaning rough seas, but sounding like they meant the bread course.

We took on supplies by underway replenishment, moving fuel, supplies, and sometimes people across on a line (rope) and pulley. Because a power winch presents a danger to peoples' limbs, the power is supplied by the crew heave-ho'ing in a row on the ships weather decks. The supply ship is an oiler which is much bigger than the ships it supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.