The (Un)Official PipesMagazine Secret Santa Thread 2022!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
When i was living in China (20 years ago) for about 10 cents US you could get a sweet potato from out of the embers in a barrel from any of the street food stalls and it was roasted to perfection, nothing else needed. Here in New Zealand we call it kumara and I prefer it with butter, salt and pepper. Added Marshmallows does seem like something that would happen to the sweet little potatoes who find themselves in America but you won't convince me to give it a try!

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
This thread is fantastic and I cant wait to participate next year, once I qualify.

Being new to the forum, my first thought when I saw the thread was: Secret Santa, thats nice. Then after seeing the chaos which has ensued shortly after the thread started my thoughts turned to confusion, then funny, a little annoyed, then funny again, more confused, but o wait, its funny again. Its ridiculous and hilarious.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
This thread is fantastic and I cant wait to participate next year, once I qualify.

Being new to the forum, my first thought when I saw the thread was: Secret Santa, thats nice. Then after seeing the chaos which has ensued shortly after the thread started my thoughts turned to confusion, then funny, a little annoyed, then funny again, more confused, but o wait, its funny again. Its ridiculous and hilarious.
If you want in this year I’ll vouch for you. It’ll just cost you some Christmas cheer - not the tin you snagged on the secondary market, but helping with this thread’s ongoing frivolity

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Okay I have to interject here! Sweet potato casserole is not my cup of tea only because I'm not a big marshmallow fan, but you got to look at it like sweet potato pie it's taking a mildly sweet dish and turning it into a dessert type of dish. I grew up eating what my family called candied yams, which is sweet potatoes cut up in the little chunks and sauteed in a lot of butter and brown sugar until the brown Sugar's almost caramelized, and it is probably one of the best dishes on the planet! Lol!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Okay I have to interject here! Sweet potato casserole is not my cup of tea only because I'm not a big marshmallow fan, but you got to look at it like sweet potato pie it's taking a mildly sweet dish and turning it into a dessert type of dish. I grew up eating what my family called candied yams, which is sweet potatoes cut up in the little chunks and sauteed in a lot of butter and brown sugar until the brown Sugar's almost caramelized, and it is probably one of the best dishes on the planet! Lol!
Sweet potatoes are a common ingredient in Japanese desserts too.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Nothing beats baked sweet potatoes with butter. No need to dress 'em up.

baked-sweet-potato-21.jpg
I've never once in my life baked a sweet potato, never even thought about it. Does it still have some sweetness to or is more like a normal baked potato in flavore. Like would you add sour cream to it or something sweet because butter is good on everything but what else would you could you add to it. Like some marshmallows before the butter, the squeeze it shut. Let it melt and serve like that. Sounds really good

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've never once in my life baked a sweet potato, never even thought about it. Does it still have some sweetness to or is more like a normal baked potato in flavore. Like would you add sour cream to it or something sweet because butter is good on everything but what else would you could you add to it. Like some marshmallows before the butter, the squeeze it shut. Let it melt and serve like that. Sounds really good
Baked sweet potatoes are…sweet.
Start them in a cold oven and (to my taste) they are even sweeter. You can put whatever you want on them, but just butter is my fave. Marshmallows would be an unfortunate addition. Be sure to put some foil under them in the oven, as they drip sugar. They are done when you can slide a knife through. It’s very difficult to over cook them. Next morning, slice the leftover potato into 3/4” slices and brown in a skillet with butter. Serve with eggs and sausage. Extraordinary!

Status
Not open for further replies.