Welcome to the PipesMagazine Secret Santa Thread
** Deluxe 2022 Collectors Edition **
Those with a keen eye will notice something different this year. After many years of wearing the red hat, organizing Secret Santa, and generally keeping this freight train on the rails, Dan ( Woodsroad ) has retired and passed the candy cane torch to me. I hope to fill the big black boots as best I can.
For those of you who are new to the concept, Secret Santa is the PipesMagazine.com gift exchange held every year since 2011. Organized and supported by the members of PipesMagazine.com/forums, it is not in any way affiliated with the ownership, management or sponsors of PipesMagazine.com. This is strictly a volunteer effort that is successful only because of the forum members who participate. If you want to get a feel for what it is, take look back at past year’s events:
Secret Santa 2017
Secret Santa 2018
Secret Santa 2019
Secret Santa 2020
Secret Santa 2021
Like all good things we have a couple of
*** The (Un)Official Rules ***
- Have a minimum of 75 posts (by today) or be vouched for by a member who has at least 300 posts and is participating in this year’s Secret Santa. No exceptions.
- Agree to send a gift of two (2) sealed tobacco tins, pouches, etc. of 50g each (or the equivalent volume of bulk tobacco in sealed condition), incurring all costs for both the present and the shipping. In the past we have had members receive very generous packages, with rare blends, and even Dunhill birth year pipes. While we can't very well enforce a 'maximum' to the packages, there is a minimum.
- Post to this thread when you have shipped your present to your target victim giftee.
- Post to this thread when you have received your present from your Secret Santa.
- Enjoy what you receive, in the spirit of camaraderie and fellowship that guided your Secret Santa's selection of a gift to you. (Seriously? We need a "no complaining" rule?)
- Post pictures or at least a summary of the goodies you received from your Secret Santa to this thread.
- “Favorite” this thread so that you can keep up with the adventure!
- I'll think of something.
Customs and duties are a way of life for receiving packages from overseas, so the more international members we have participating the better. I will make every effort to match you with someone from your country or trade bloc so as to minimize your shipping costs and potential customs fees. However that may not be possible. If you sign up for the Secret Santa exchange, and you do not live in the US, you agree to mail your gift internationally and to accept your gift package from another country and pay whatever customs fees may be charged to you.
The Long Form and Fine Print:
Registration for this year's Secret Santa will close on Sunday, November 27th. I will send all participants the name and mailing address of their intended target by Tuesday, November 29th. Once you have received the name and address of your giftee, please take a second to look on this thread for any of their pipe-smoking particulars updates and then send your present tout de suite so that it arrives before Christmas. This is especially true if you are sending internationally.
It's up to you to decide when, where and how to open your present, but I thought that it might be cool to do the UnBoxing Day Event online again. So be sure to tune in and chime in on Christmas Day and show us all what you found under the tobacco tree. Either way, if you just can’t wait until Christmas, please be certain to come back here and post some pix of your bounty.
Participating in this thread is half the fun of Secret Santa, so be sure to stop by early and often.
The FAQ, Ma'am, Just the FAQ - Answers to Common Questions
Question - Hey
Answer – In past years, the sky was the limit, and some of us felt that things got a little out of hand. Sure, feel free to send more, but please be reasonable.
Question - Hey
Answer - Hey, we totally get that life happens and that sometimes the unfortunate and unexpected happens, prohibiting us from honoring our commitments. IF THIS HAPPENS PLEASE CONTACT ME IMMEDIATELY. I can not stress this enough. there is no shame in having to back out, if you contact me so that alternate partners can be arranged.
Question - Hey
Answer - If you do not receive your gift by December 25th LET ME KNOW.
Question - Hey
Answer – Include it in the sign up form, but I'd also use this thread right here to advise folks what your likes and dislikes are. I can't guarantee that they'll be respected, but at least you will have made your desires known.
And, finally, I would be a total putz if I didn’t acknowledge the great Santa’s that came before me: Duncan started this whole thing back in 2011 (I think). Mrgunnar177 picked up the reins after that and then Pruss. Woodsroad took over in 2017 and ran it successfully until 2021. I have some big shoes to fill.
Please note that replying "I'm in" to this thread ISN'T ENOUGH.
Then post your Secret Santa tobacco preferences and other musings here on this thread.
Last edited by a moderator: