The Tobbacolypse: Would it Affect You at All?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
At the rate that I smoke my pipes, I have enough just in jars to last several years. Add the unopened tins in my cellar and I'm good until I drop dead.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Do you take the therapy? Hmmmmm.
If everything in my body and mind works, and my loved ones could take it as well, then MAYBE, but likely not. There's a time for everything. I had three grandparents who lived past 90, full lives, and very well and active until their mid 80s for sure, then rapid and awful decline, which I saw 3x, don't want that.

Reactions: Casual
I do think it is a clever marketing ploy to sell more tobacco, reinforced by “Chicken Little” behavior who run around claiming that the sky is falling.

If it do happens, my response will be appropriate to the event

1. If smoking is outlawed then I will stop smoking. Not worth breaking the law
2. If internet sales are not allowed I will buy from B&M
3. If it is taxed higher - I will pay higher prices
4. If favorites are not produced any more will find new favorites or buy from folks who has collected tonnes of tobacco

jyrreb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2019
More than likely I would be ok, especially if it was just crazy high taxes. I wouldn’t buy nearly as much but I could keep a trickle coming to prolong the inevitable. If it all stopped today, I’d probably smoke nothing but the cigars I have on hand for 2-3 years until their gone since I don’t think they age as well as pipe tobacco. Then I’d get back to pipe tobacco and easily be good for 10 years if I don’t ration it at all. That would take me to the ripe age of 40...

might be time to buy more...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a great aunt that turned 100 this year. My mom is 86 and finally put up her golf clubs. Her mother lived to mid 90's. My grandmother on my dad's side lived to about 96. I will be lucky to hit 70, I am 63 now and a total wreck physically and mentally. I never thought I would hit 50 so I am ahead of my prediction. I have so many pills I have to take because of the conditions I have. I have a wheelchair I have to use when I go out. I have a neck brace I have to wear if I go out. I don't drive any more. Last time I did, I forgot where I lived. That was really freaky. Everyday when I open my eyes,I say to myself, cool I get to smoke my pipes for another day. I have a live in caretaker who does my meds, does my vitals everyday, she does the shopping, cooking, cleaning. The best part is she is as crazy as I am and has a great sense of humor.

As far as tobacco is concerned I have, I would guess about 25 years worth and I smoke 5-7 bowls a day. I live in hurricane alley but my house is rated to withstand a category 5 hurricane when my hurricane shields are on the house. So far I have only needed them once and I never felt a thing and since the place I live in has all utilities underground so no need for generators.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I've got a few years' supply and am moving to growing my own as I live in a prime Burley-producing area. Starting with some One Sucker and moving on to either that or another plus a Virginia crop for 2022. If I'm feeling particularly adventurous, will add an Oriental as well.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I do think it is a clever marketing ploy to sell more tobacco, reinforced by “Chicken Little” behavior who run around claiming that the sky is falling.

If it do happens, my response will be appropriate to the event

2. If internet sales are not allowed I will buy from B&M
3. If it is taxed higher - I will pay higher prices
4. If favorites are not produced any more will find new favorites or buy from folks who has collected tonnes of tobacco
I'd do exactly the same 1-4 as you, all the while whining about "the good old days".

Not sure it's all marketing though, we already have places like Australia where it is just TOO expensive so that's an easy way governments can stop people from smoking, and I can't see many non-smokers complaining about tobacco being taxed to hell. Funnily enough, I'm all for the indoor ban, that finally got enforced in Greece about 1.5 years ago (covid-19 has messed up my perception of what year it is, by the way, I still feel 2019 was last year).

I can easily see tobacco smoking being banned everywhere apart from a field you own, and it's 100m from any other habitation.

I'd do exactly the same 1-4 as you, all the while whining about "the good old days".

Not sure it's all marketing though, we already have places like Australia where it is just TOO expensive so that's an easy way governments can stop people from smoking, and I can't see many non-smokers complaining about tobacco being taxed to hell. Funnily enough, I'm all for the indoor ban, that finally got enforced in Greece about 1.5 years ago (covid-19 has messed up my perception of what year it is, by the way, I still feel 2019 was last year).

I can easily see tobacco smoking being banned everywhere apart from a field you own, and it's 100m from any other habitation.
I replied from a US perspective. I still think that Pipe Tobacco is relatively affordable in most parts of the world. While the prices in Australia are shocking compared to US, it is still affordable to an average person smoking 1-2 bowls a day. Even in US, if the price hits 50 USD an ounce, a budget of 200-250 $ (or less) is what most smokers would need per month.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It seems contradictory that codger/OTC blends that have been around for decades or a century would disappear. They should not be hit by deeming regulations, and as premium more recent blends are hit, there should be more demand for the oldies. Accessibility is another question. Online sales might be limited. There might be some necessity to cross state lines or drive a long way to stock up. But the ancient brands should remain available in some context. It's all the master blender blend of the month special reserve tobaccos that may not remain on the market, I would think. Granger and Prince Albert should be the last men standing, n'est pas? I just don't think we know what will happen because everything that's happened so far is anticipatory and not part of any clarified regulatory action. The regulators themselves don't know and aren't putting out clarification. There could be a long period of inaction, another year or more.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
I have an impressive stash considering I smoke 1 bowl in a typical day. Tobaccopocolypse would make me irate given its an American freedom to basically do what you want as long as it is moral and legal. I can't stand when people oppress others for the sake of there own desires and will. Thats exactly what criminals do. I don't understand how people don't get that. Stupid is a stupid does I suppose.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer

That attitude and type of thinking works in other countries. In America, the attitude is that when the law no longer serves the people, civil disobedience requires upstanding citizens to defy the law or replace the government. If the government should decide I can not smoke my tobacco in my home then the castle has been occupied and quartered by unwelcomed troops. Keeping in mind Kohlberg's stages of moral development, it seems to me that our Declaration of Independence was predicated on rights not derived from kings, but from something more universal.

So, I hope you will reconsider and light up your pipe in protest and enjoyment.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Even in US, if the price hits 50 USD an ounce, a budget of 200-250 $ (or less) is what most smokers would need per month.
Eh, sure, but it'd have to be a luxury item for infrequent use. Hell, honestly I often remind myself that premium pipe tobacco IS a luxury item, yet it is absurdly cheap all things considered.

Cigars baffle me with their prices. Labour should be cheap in the countries they are produced in, the leaf doesn't demand the same amount of processing some tobaccos like Perique, DFK and Latakia, and that's before pressing, steaming etc. I guess cigars can command the prices they do because there's prestige associated with people willing to pay for them, would love to know how many thousands of % the markup is.

Status
Not open for further replies.