The Tobbacolypse: Would it Affect You at All?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I can easily see tobacco smoking being banned everywhere apart from a field you own, and it's 100m from any other habitation.
Only 100m? You monster, are you trying to get someone killed?

I‘m sure that smoking a pipe will just be one of the 15 laws I will absent-mindedly break on an average day, going about my business as I always have. Given the shallowness of my neighbours’ respect for the stop signs in my little forest town, I’m sure they’re as unworried about enforcement as I am.

Reactions: artvandelay007
That attitude and type of thinking works in other countries. In America, the attitude is that when the law no longer serves the people, civil disobedience requires upstanding citizens to defy the law or replace the government. If the government should decide I can not smoke my tobacco in my home then the castle has been occupied and quartered by unwelcomed troops. Keeping in mind Kohlberg's stages of moral development, it seems to me that our Declaration of Independence was predicated on rights not derived from kings, but from something more universal.

So, I hope you will reconsider and light up your pipe in protest and enjoyment.
1. If smoking is outlawed then it is the voice of the majority
2. If you don’t agree with a law - right thing to do is working with people to change the law, not break it in my opinion
3. Although I immensely enjoy smoking, there are other things that take higher priority

• Haha
Reactions: seanv and Ethan

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
If it were to happen tomorrow, I’d be ok. I’ve got enough for 3-4 years at my current smoking rate, and I’d probably slow down to 5-7 bowls/week instead of 2-3/day. If I’m forced to completely quit, I’d be sad because I love this hobby, but I’d be fine. I just took a week long break while on vacation and I was fine, so nic addiction isn’t really a thing for me.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
1. If smoking is outlawed then it is the voice of the majority
2. If you don’t agree with a law - right thing to do is working with people to change the law, not break it in my opinion
3. Although I immensely enjoy smoking, there are other things that take higher priority
I am not a fan of the Nuremberg defense. YMMV.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I suppose most of what would happen has already happened. I've seen the loss of some very high quality blends with the replacement of lower quality versions and the consolidation of brands from separate makers with their own personality operating in many countries to a few makers pumping out largely pale imitations in a few countries. There's certainly been a lowering of quality.

And, that's not new. When Dunhill transferred its blends to Murray's, several of the more complex formulas were simplified. That's 40 years ago. But I do think the process has accelerated and is maybe more widespread.

For newer smokers, that really doesn't matter. They're will imprint on what's available to them today, and appreciate today's blends. You can see this happening in the way that C&D is regarded here. Go back 5 or more years and the brand was largely an object of ridicule in forums. Now it's beloved by many. To some degree that's due to them upping their game and producing some very interesting small batch products. And the change in apprehension has transformed many of yesterday's loser blends into today's winner blends.

Loss of Federal farm subsidies has cut into both the amount and quality of tobacco being harvested.
Most smokers don't really notice. It seems to be a pretty small percentage who can really taste the flavors and subtle nuances in the blends, so the changes just don't register with the majority of consumers. So maybe the changes don't really matter, except to a minority who can taste the difference?

Like many, I put away tobacco as a hedge against what we could see coming and am content. Unlike some, I haven't set aside a half a millennia of stock. I don't see any circumstance for doing that, as I'm not planning to sell it off at 1000% mark up and I'm not sure that I would be able to, even if I wanted to, in the not too distant future. Nor do I consider it, even with the longevity gene on both sides of my family, likely that I'll be around that much longer. I also doubt that my taste for tobacco will be as strong in another 10 years, much less 30 or more. So by best guestimate, I'm good for 10 to 15 years, maybe more if I cut back.

The downside to this is that many blends do not benefit from significant aging, and at some point all I'll have is aged stuff. Also, a certain percentage goes tits up due to packaging failure, or manufacturing errors. Aging is a bit overrated.

The good side is that I still have access to discontinued blends that I stored away, so some of the losses and decline in quality I can avoid experiencing for the time being.

As for whether the so called tobaccapolypse would affect me, to the extent that it will, barring unforeseen disaster, it already has.

I don't see an outright ban or prohibition on tobacco. It's not necessary. Death by a thousand cuts is so very much more effective. I could be wrong about this, given the low IQ of political ideology across the spectrum, but I hope not.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Would be a real sad if tobaccolypse ever arrived but I am really afraid it will happen in the next few years. I have enough to last a couple years which is probably all I need considering my age.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I think I’ll be alright. I don’t have nearly as much in the cellar as some folks here report having, but I also don’t smoke nearly as much, either. And, while I do thoroughly enjoy it, it isn’t something I couldn’t live without. It sucks to think that it could become something that’s no longer a part of my life. However, all things considered, I’m sure I could manage.

I’m not sure how reasonable it’d be to try to grow/process my own in a place like Alaska, so I’d probably just come to terms with the fact that it became part of the “good old days,” and find something else to blow my money on...

Status
Not open for further replies.