The Tobbacolypse: Would it Affect You at All?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ever since I joined there has been many prophesies of an upcoming 'tobbacolypse', which ranges from pipe tobacco being taxed into oblivion, deeming regulations ending certain blends, or sometimes banning tobacco altogether. For the sake of conversation, say it does happen. Does your life really change?

I hardly smoke my pipes, and I have plenty stored away. I would say that the effect on me would be minimal really.

Is anyone in the same boat? Or are there members genuinely concerned about how this would affect them personally?

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I'm concerned for sure, been left without decent pipe tobacco apart from one local company (Wolfway) back when Dunhill stopped production, and Danish and English shops stopped sending to Greece.

I got enough to last me a couple of years with careful - stingy - smoking of 1-2 bowls per day, but I want to have enough to be free to dip as much as often as I like.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Ever since I joined there has been many prophesies of an upcoming 'tobbacolypse', which ranges from pipe tobacco being taxed into oblivion, deeming regulations ending certain blends, or sometimes banning tobacco altogether. For the sake of conversation, say it does happen. Does your life really change?

I hardly smoke my pipes, and I have plenty stored away. I would say that the effect on me would be minimal really.

Is anyone in the same boat? Or are there members genuinely concerned about how this would affect them personally?
A few years ago I would've been concerned but not anymore. Over the past 4 years I've forgone many pipe purchases to acquire tobacco instead. My cellar is pretty much finished (famous last words?) apart from topping up on UK blends.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I have a fifty year supply smoking 5 to 6 bowls per day. I'm 64 so I think I'm good.
When you’re 105, a scientist invents a stem cell therapy that gives a person fifty more healthy years of lifespan.

But they’ve fully banned tobacco products of all sorts by then. The public is so cowed that children narc on their parents.

Do you take the therapy? Hmmmmm.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
When you’re 105, a scientist invents a stem cell therapy that gives a person fifty more healthy years of lifespan.

But they’ve fully banned tobacco products of all sorts by then. The public is so cowed that children narc on their parents.

Do you take the therapy? Hmmmmm.
I take the therapy and start growing my own.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I don’t think that anybody wants anything that they enjoy to being taxed into oblivion or band. Will I survive? Yes. Will I bitch and moan? Probably, but I’m usually in the “cross that bridge when I get to it” camp. So, I’m not sweat’n it
:cheers:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In terms of supply, given that I could slow down to several bowls a week or none, I think i'm set in that respect. However, part of the pleasure of pipe smoking is the never-ending introduction of blends, and I think the scaling back or elimination of that would certainly change the activity. Would it still be "fun," worth discussing? I can see a lot of the emotional energy being taken out of it. But I can also see enjoying my stash and not worrying about it.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I have enough Granger to enjoy one average sized bowl per day for 10.3 years.

Granger could go the way of Prince Albert at any time. So, I’d need twice as much to feel comfy.

The math: 170 bowls per 12 ounce tub multiplied by 22 tubs is 3,740 bowls —- divided by 365 days per year equates to 10.24 years.

I dread the day this blend goes tits up.

Status
Not open for further replies.