PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
even better than sugar and bread are meat and dairy products.

just because you don't gain weight off big macs doesn't mean you aren't gaining cholesterol, clogged arteries, chemicals unknown, and so much salt your heart may explode from high blood pressure.

to lose weight I have found nothing like a Vegan diet. I used to weigh 200+ with a damn near 40" waist. I now weigh about 140-145 with a 28" waist. The doctor gave me a blood test because my dad has high cholesterol and blood pressure and he was amazed with the results for my age (37). Excellent good cholesterol and very low on the bad.

besides.. who wants to eat dairy? Did you know that it all carries puss and infection? There is an acceptable level of puss in dairy for every state.. look it up if you want to be disgusted and now how many infected white blood cells you intake.

Veganism is great. I did it for a while to lower my cholesterol and lost weight and felt good. It's just not a diet i can stay with successfully for very long. And my cholesterol is currently fine. But veganism has a lot going for it.

Reactions: rushx9

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I sure am thankful that Big Macs or Vegan aren't my only two choices.
Not to say that they're both unhealthy, but one way more than the other.

It's really not simply the calories, or the carbs, or what have you: a lot has to do with the QUALITY of the food or ingredients or components or organic compounds. How come European diet doesn't fatten as much as North American?

I knew of a Canadian woman who is always sick here, food allergies, and what not. She went to Poland, and decided to say 'what the hell' and started eating all the stuff she's s'posedly allergic to: never a problem. As soon as she returned, she ate something in Toronto's airport and was sick again.

I experienced something similar when I went to Germany. Ate lots, no digestive problems, no weight gain. As soon as I came back home, the health issues returned.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hard to argue against a whole foods plant based diet when it comes to health. Although cutting out meat entirely is not necessary to achieve the same results. It just needs to be used as PART of SOME meals and not THE meal(s). A FEW oz of meat a FEW times a week is just fine to flavor a dish or as PART of a larger meal. 16oz of meat every day will kill you in a heartbeat (or lack thereof).

Really food is like any drug. You should be aware of the risks going in and make an informed decision. More exposure = More risk, and you have the right to ingest as much or as little of any particular option as you want, and be prepared to suffer the consequences to varying degrees by individual.

Last edited:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Hard to argue against a whole foods plant based diet when it comes to health.
Indeed, because such diet is extremely unhealthy. Humans are meant to be omnivorous.

That being said, and as you yourself have remarked, the diet needs to be balanced: at least one day of the week should be banyan, more if one possesses a corpulent physique. White meats such as fish or poultry need to be eaten at least once or twice per week. Really, red meat should be eaten no more than 3-4 times per week. Deli is particularly deleterious if eaten daily, but what do people take for lunch? Yeah, deli sandwiches. :rolleyes:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
We'll agree to disagree. There's just no replacement for animal protein.

Agreed with olkofri. The vegan / plant-based thing is just a trend, and there are a huge number of potential health ramifications from eating a vegan diet. Any diet where you have to be so cautious about attention to detail just to avoid health problems is not really a complete diet.

You are certainly welcome to disagree with modern science. Science (especially when it comes to diet) has been altered and re-altered, proven and disproven, for centuries.

Modern science says that humans are omnivores. In fact, a lot of anthropologists have credited the ability to cook and eat large quantities of meat as the impetus behind the expansion of our brains and the formation of the homo sapiens species from our more archaic ancestors.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Agreed with olkofri. The vegan / plant-based thing is just a trend, and there are a huge number of potential health ramifications from eating a vegan diet. Any diet where you have to be so cautious about attention to detail just to avoid health problems is not really a complete diet.

Modern science says that humans are omnivores. In fact, a lot of anthropologists have credited the ability to cook and eat large quantities of meat as the impetus behind the expansion of our brains and the formation of the homo sapiens species from our more archaic ancestors.

I will repeat:

Also, be careful to note the word I used was "plant-based" not Vegan or Vegetarian. There is a difference.

Plant-based diet - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant-based_diet

Or if you prefer Harvard Med School to Wikipedia:

What is a plant-based diet and why should you try it? - Harvard Health Blog - https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/what-is-a-plant-based-diet-and-why-should-you-try-it-2018092614760

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I will repeat:

Well if by "plant-based" you mean anything from paleo diet to veganism, then you're making a very broad and indefinite statement as to which type of diet is the best for humans. I would agree if the definition is "mostly plants by volume, some meats, very little hydrogenated corn syrup etc" but would take exception if the definition is "veganism."

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Well if by "plant-based" you mean anything from paleo diet to veganism, then you're making a very broad and indefinite statement as to which type of diet is the best for humans. I would agree if the definition is "mostly plants by volume, some meats, very little hydrogenated corn syrup etc" but would take exception if the definition is "veganism."
The definition of plant based is admittedly broad, but most research on the topic defines it similarly to the above posted Harvard article:

"Plant-based or plant-forward eating patterns focus on foods primarily from plants. This includes not only fruits and vegetables, but also nuts, seeds, oils, whole grains, legumes, and beans. It doesn’t mean that you are vegetarian or vegan and never eat meat or dairy. Rather, you are proportionately choosing more of your foods from plant sources."

Or to put it more simply, from the wikipedia article:

"diets that include generous amounts of plant foods and limited amounts of animal foods"

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It is unbecoming for an adult to mock/ridicule a 16 year old child.

"Mock/ridicule" of her is only your ridiculous interpretation of my post.

And what is even more ridiculous, and more "unbecoming" of adults, is a 16 year old being USED by adults with a deceptive, lying agenda to preach their BS fake science to the world and expect us to be shamed by it.

Reactions: jpberg and olkofri

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
A 16 year old is NOT a child. A woman stops being a child when she becomes biologically capable to have children of her own.

Besides, Thunberg does sux.

Status
Not open for further replies.