PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No one should trust their own assessment of the appropriateness of their weight. Some people aren't alarmed until they are candidates for bariatric surgery, and others who are gaunt fixate on losing weight. Women express this more often, but men may have as much or more of a problem with it because there is less social pressure. Doctors are not always good judges because they themselves have the same illusions and prejudices about weight. The U.S. has made other regions of the world fat because of processed food. In Europe, you can spot U.S. Americans because they are the corpulent ones. So much processed food is made out of corn. Then there's the whole question of where you gain weight. Many people who are within average weight carry it all in the gut. My tendency. The numbers of diet philosophies, plans, programs, and gurus are infinite. I'm amused that the first ingredient on some "health" beverages is corn syrup, and these are served up at hospitals! Oh no! I know a woman who weighs less than 100 pounds, eats little, and spends all her time plying other people with food. Whew.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Everyone told me years ago, "When you get in your thirties, you'll start putting on weight." I'm nearly fifty.

At McDonald's I eat six Big Macs or three double quarter pounders whenever I go. Same weight and height since I was fourteen.

I do the same thing at McDonald's and I've never managed to get above 322 :LOL:

I lost 108 lbs in 2010 to get down to 214 (I am 6'3") counting calories and killing myself on a recumbent bike 2hrs per day. It sucked.

It has taken me a decade, but I've managed to gain back about 70 of those lbs. Gotta get back on it now, as I recently had a similar doc visit as @danimalia with High BP, Cholesterol, and Fatty Liver. Managed to get the Cholesterol down by limiting red meat, but the other two are still a very much a concern.

Ironically, they found these issues (as well as an extreme vitamin D deficiency) while investigating another annoying health issue (Benign Fasciculation Syndrome, aka Terrifying You Might Have ALS So We are Going to Test You For Months With No Answers Syndrome).

My favorite interaction during that process:

GI Doc: Two cups of coffee a day may actually help your fatty liver.
Me: The Neurologist told me not to drink coffee because it will exacerbate the cramps and fasciculations in my muscles.
GI Doc: Correct
Me:..........................................................
GI Doc: The human body sucks. Get used to it. I will say, fasciculations and cramps are annoying, but not having a liver will result in death. I learned that in medical school.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chasing', I had a similar weight profile to yours until I was about 32 years old. When I went home on holidays and ate up a storm, expecting to gain a few pounds, I gained nothing. When I got out of the Navy, where all of my personal transportation was walking, I weighed out at 113 pounds. I couldn't have re-enlisted if I had wanted to. At that age, I was about six foot, shorter now. I'd weighed more, but life on the ship, etc., burnt calories at a furious rate, with too little sleep. You have metabolism that just doesn't gain weight, probably never will. Good health to you.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The U.S. has made other regions of the world fat because of processed food. In Europe, you can spot U.S. Americans because they are the corpulent ones. So much processed food is made out of corn.
I'm amused that the first ingredient on some "health" beverages is corn syrup, and these are served up at hospitals! Oh no!

This touches on one of the more significant aspects of diet issues...and is only the tip of the toxicity iceberg that is the modern American diet.

One of the primary ways inflation is masked is by inexpensive processed/mass produced "food".

It's inexpensive because it's mostly toxic shit.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
This touches on one of the more significant aspects of diet issues...and is only the tip of the toxicity iceberg that is the modern American diet.

One of the primary ways inflation is masked is by inexpensive processed/mass produced "food".

It's inexpensive because it's mostly toxic shit.

You can still get fat even without eating the toxic shit. I've done the research.

Although I will admit to a drunken taco bell binge once a year or so. So bad and so good all at once. Alcohol is a hell of a drug.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Of course you can. But the "processed" stuff tends to be carb/calorie heavy as well.

Certainly true, just advocating for portion control awareness regardless of food selection :)

That is my real struggle. I have no problem avoiding processed foods with the incredible bounty our state provides, it's not eating like a goddamn pig beast that I struggle with.

When I was a young man I burned calories like nobodies business so I ate like crazy. When life moved along and I traded the outdoors for a desk, I kept eating the same way, but stopped burning the calories. Tough to reverse. Quitting smoking didn't help either. Ballooned up like that rich girl in Willy Wonka afterwords.

Last edited:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
High carb intake, as well as certain types of toxins in processed foods, also tend to cause cravings and keep you feeling hungry as well.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
That's awesome. Yeah, I am doing the low carb/keto/atkins type thing. I lost about 100 pounds about 15 years or o ago doing it. I really struggle with counting calorie, so this diet actually keeps me feeling pretty full. Definitely miss carbs, though. No potatoes, dressing or pie for the Holidays ?

People laugh at the keto/low-carb craze but if they knew anything about insulin production- they'd realize it works. I was a fat kid all my life (dad's good ol' southern cooking) ? but dropped 100 lbs within a year of getting a job and buying my own food. Cutting out sugar and bread is a great start.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
even better than sugar and bread are meat and dairy products.

just because you don't gain weight off big macs doesn't mean you aren't gaining cholesterol, clogged arteries, chemicals unknown, and so much salt your heart may explode from high blood pressure.

to lose weight I have found nothing like a Vegan diet. I used to weigh 200+ with a damn near 40" waist. I now weigh about 140-145 with a 28" waist. The doctor gave me a blood test because my dad has high cholesterol and blood pressure and he was amazed with the results for my age (37). Excellent good cholesterol and very low on the bad.

besides.. who wants to eat dairy? Did you know that it all carries puss and infection? There is an acceptable level of puss in dairy for every state.. look it up if you want to be disgusted and now how many infected white blood cells you intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.