PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Flushing works fine, don’t understand the aversion to it. I’ve long suspected all the militant anti flush posters are just shills in the back pocket of Big Pipecleaner
What I want to know is if people in the pro-flush camp use those toilet things that squirt water up your asshole to clean their ass? If they don't, seems a little hypocritical to me....

Last edited:

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Goodness gracious, my oh my, the level of fear, loathing, and panic expressed by some here over the thought of using warm or hot water to clean out a pipe is astonishing. It's not like anyone is suggesting anything as unsupportable or purely idiotic as, say, the earth is round.
But throughout history thousands of people died proposing that...because the earth is really flat rotf

Last edited:

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Look I'll add my 2 cents - 1 drawback of water - is that you are likely to get the exterior of the pipe and finish wet whether you like it or not - so then you'll need to polish/oil/wax your wood more often
Other than that there is no reason to criticize or be hesitant of the process. period
I'd be more fearful of the salt/alcohol treatments(which I do from time to time) due to the expansion

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Look I'll add my 2 cents - 1 drawback of water - is that you are likely to get the exterior of the pipe and finish wet whether you like it or not - so then you'll need to polish/oil/wax your wood more often
Other than that there is no reason to criticize or be hesitant of the process. period
I'd be more fearful of the salt/alcohol treatments(which I do from time to time) due to the expansion
If you're using either Halcyon of Paragon wax, hot or warm water will dull it. But I usually renew the wax anyway, so it doesn't really affect me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Oh man, count me in the group that's been too much of a puss to try it. I think I'm going to. I despise deep cleaning a pipe. I just spent an hour working on two last night, and I found it tedious as hell.

Is this meant to be done regularly, like after each smoke, or as a substitute for deep cleaning?
I've gotten like of lazy about pipe maintenance of late, so I use it for deep cleaning only. Normally I would use it at the end of a days use, since I often smoke multiple bowls of the same blend in the course of a day.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Interesting how this pipe cleaning thingie has become so divisive. I've used it for around 2 years and love it. I've used it hundreds of times on high end pipes with vulcanite stems and have seen no evidence whatsoever of any negative effect on the briar or stem. YMMV. It is also fast which is huge positive for me. I have plenty of things to occupy my time, I find no solace or calming whatsoever from breaking down a pipe and running 10 to 25 alcohol soaked pipe cleaners through it. Again, YMMV.

I also don't care whether anyone else chooses to use this method or not. Those that have not used have no business however criticizing the technique as they have no real, hands on experience. I have taken several pipes that had well over 100 bowls smoked through them that had never had any cleaning other than pipe cleaner through, wipe bowl with pipe cleaner, water rinse and wipe bowl with paper towel. I broke them down and used pipe cleaners soaked in Everclear to clean the stem and air passage. I was very surprised how clean the initial pipe cleaner was. The pipe cleaner was coming back completely clean after 3 to 5 pipe cleaners. Neither pipe had been reamed at all and only had a modest amount of a thin, hard cake built up.

Clean your pipes however you wish. If it makes you happy, I'm all for it. I'll continue with my present method until I encounter something better.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Oh man, count me in the group that's been too much of a puss to try it. I think I'm going to. I despise deep cleaning a pipe. I just spent an hour working on two last night, and I found it tedious as hell.

Is this meant to be done regularly, like after each smoke, or as a substitute for deep cleaning?
It seems to be, imho stand in for the alcohol and salt method, I can't see it being necessary after each smoke but maybe I'm wrong. For regular maintenance cleaning I just use pipe cleaners and paper towel like everyone else, but when it's time to deep clean, ill be using the hot water flush.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What I want to know is if people in the pro-flush camp use those toilet things that squirt water up your asshole to clean their ass? If they don't, seems a little hypocritical to me....
Actually, I bought one for my mom. it is made by Toto and it has the benefit of being able to set the water temperature, pressure, etc. That proved to be quite a godsend for her in her last few years.

Aug 1, 2012
So, what's the next step for the water flush camp? Maybe dressing in white button-down shirts, ties and black pants with little name tags saying "Elder *insert forum name*" and going door to door to spread the good news of water flushing? Refusing to leave until we acknowledge the greatness of our lord and savior the water flush?

I get it. You like water flushing. That's cool.
I don't. That should be cool too.
Now please give it a rest.

Before you start in on me and this post, look at the title and ask yourself if it was necessary. Then ask yourself why it's necessary to try and convince everyone do water flushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.