PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Why not? It's not needed. I assume this is in total jest and poking fun at the water cleanse folks.

Actually, I love the water cleanse idea I last night tried it and liked the result.

Then got to thinkin... what moisture absorbent material could draw moisture from a damp bowl.

I came up with:

Cat Litter,
Granger and
Rice.

I’ve already used Granger for this purpose and I don’t have a cat.

That left Rice.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I am truly glad that I can make you two feel superior to someone. It helps to talk down to the uninformed morons like me. The tone of your responses show this quite clearly. This is the second condescending post from Sable so I'm glad that he can take a break from being his usual helpful self and feel good about himself instead. My good deed for the day is done.

I will continue to enjoy doing things the "incorrect" way according to you two. I will also continue to provide my services as someone who can be looked down on. I know that when I make a blatantly ironic post that most will not understand it as such or read to the part where I usually write something like "do what you like but get off my lawn."
I apologize for snarky beginning of my comment, it was unnecessary. But the rest of it stands, and I think you took the title a little personally. In my experience the water flush method seems better than the alcohol and salt method in most ways, mostly because of speed and ease, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as am I. I do not think myself superior to anyone, nor was I talking down to you. Regardless of what you might think, that was not the purpose to the posting. It was meant to share information, that's all. We will all continue to clean our pipes the way we want to, but I will not cease to share whatever knowledge I feel is useful because people take things I say the wrong way.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2012
I apologize for snarky beginning of my comment, it was unnecessary. But the rest of it stands, and I think you took the title a little personally. In my experience the water flush method seems better than the alcohol and salt method in most ways, mostly because of speed and ease, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as am I. I do not think myself superior to anyone, nor was I talking down to you. Regardless of what you might think, that was not the purpose to the posting. It was meant to share information, that's all. We will all continue to clean our pipes the way we want to, but I will not cease to share whatever knowledge I feel is useful because people take things I say the wrong way.
I appreciate your response. You are correct that I took it a bit personally (though more was directed at another than you) and I should not have. I apologize for my mistakes there. I'm glad you found a method you like whether it's different from mine or not. Please keep sharing your ideas and hopefully our interactions can be more cordial going forward. I also sometimes put things in a way that sound good to me and have people take them differently. I will ascribe more positive intentions to your posts in future.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I appreciate your response. You are correct that I took it a bit personally (though more was directed at another than you) and I should not have. I apologize for my mistakes there. I'm glad you found a method you like whether it's different from mine or not. Please keep sharing your ideas and hopefully our interactions can be more cordial going forward. I also sometimes put things in a way that sound good to me and have people take them differently. I will ascribe more positive intentions to your posts in future.
I appreciate that very much and will definitely return the favor. Have a happy new year

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I tried the water clean method on an inexpensive but good pipe. Didn't care for the result. Dullsed the exterior and didn't do much to clean the interior. But... that was an experiment on one pipe. Not a good experiment. Seems some people are very happy with the results. Maybe I'm missing out.b

But, some of my pipes are spendy. I have will purdys first turtle grade. Cornucopia. Lovely pipe. Polished it with briar pipe wipe (now unavailable as far as I know) and there was some wax buildup apparently. Will cleaned it up for me and said " would you use briar pipe wipe on a stickley ?"(furniture...high end...i have none) I had no idea. Since then I've been careful with my briars.

Load under the rim. Careful cleaning of interior with high octane booze. Careful cleaning of exterior with soft rags and (now) renaissance wax. No water for me. Might work great, but I'm gonna stick with what's worked for me.

I like to save time too. But, yes I'm a coward. Set in my ways. Isn't broke, not gonna fix it. Etc...

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
But what about wetting down wrappers on cigars or cello on or off? Never mind wrong forum and topic but similar tone and style of responses.
Can't bring myself to try the cigar wrapper rinse. Just cannot. It violates my conscience even though I have watched Dave Dude and other respectable cigar smokers do it.

I have been trying water flushing with a couple of pipes the past few days, though, and have been pretty pleased with the results. For the regular flushers, I have two more questions, and I apologize if they're dumb ones:

1. Do you start with this method right away with brand new pipes or wait for a breaking period or for a cake to develop?

2. Anything to worry about with silver? I'm not much of a jewelry guy, so my pipes might he the only things I have with silver, and just want to make sure the water won't mess it up.

Thanks in advance.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Can't bring myself to try the cigar wrapper rinse. Just cannot. It violates my conscience even though I have watched Dave Dude and other respectable cigar smokers do it.

I have been trying water flushing with a couple of pipes the past few days, though, and have been pretty pleased with the results. For the regular flushers, I have two more questions, and I apologize if they're dumb ones:

1. Do you start with this method right away with brand new pipes or wait for a breaking period or for a cake to develop?

2. Anything to worry about with silver? I'm not much of a jewelry guy, so my pipes might he the only things I have with silver, and just want to make sure the water won't mess it up.

Thanks in advance.
1. I've only water washed older pipes, where's there's enough cake to justify hot water and good scrub.
2. Silver isn't tarnished by a short wash. (I just cleaned a Peterson acrylic silver spigot stem with dish soap and hot water and I do it after every time I use that pipe).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
<< Snipped bits out >>

I'll rinse a brand new pipe just to remove any dust or goodies from manufacturing, but then smoke it a half dozen times before the next hot water flush.

Silver- answered above; no problem .

Status
Not open for further replies.