PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I never thought my pipes smelled bad or anything like that, I'm just surprised at how much tastier and clear the smoke is after cleaning them this way, I never got that with the alcohol and salt method even. I just did it with 3 more of my pipes and smoked bowls in all of them and leaf tastes even better than it did. We can all be just fine enjoying things the way we always have, but if someone ever shared something with that might make the experience even better, I would probably try it.
I know, I was being a bit arch, as usual.

A bit, because I do enjoy how my pipes smell after I've smoked nice tobacco in them and I have cleaned them following my own cleaning routine: Best Way to Clean a Pipe :: Pipe Repair and Maintenance - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/best-way-to-clean-a-pipe.80923/#post-36253523

All my pipes' bowls look like this after cleaning them ('cept for cobs, which are a pain to clean and one of the reasons I'm not a fan of them):

Vauen_Basic_Bowl.jpg

Also, I don't build any cake (gross), so I don't really have a problem with pipes going sour and thus have little need for the water cleaning method.

Still, I'm not dissing the water thing. Over time, tars build up in the draught hole lumen, where my finger and paper towel cannot reach. I do run shank brushes as part of my regular cleaning, but once or twice a year, I might do the running water cleaning on the stummels.

Also, I always take the pipes apart, so I don't have a problem with vulcanite stems being oxidised by the water, or bent out of shape if it's too hot.

Well, I might end up having a bit of a problem, actually, as I always wash the stems in the sink with soap and water. I use cold water for the vulcanite ones, but I guess over time they'll turn green. One reason I avoid vulcanite and prefer acrylic.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
This member is a fake! He is obviously been planted here by the pro-flush group.

Flushing a pipe is akin to group-think, it's not necessary to flush a pipe, but if those in your group say you should do it, then by all means, do it and feel good about yourself doing it, because now you are just like everyone else in your group and you should all join hands and sing kumbaya.

Status
Not open for further replies.