PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
See you like Yixing teapots. I have 2 myself but I prefer figurals when it comes to them. Most Yixing I see are too small for my preference, preferring pots which can accomodate 2+ cups of tea.

I think that’s because most are designed for gong fu brewing. I’d run out of tea in a week with pint sized pots & those ratios. I like them between 100-150mL so I’m using 5-7 grams of tea per session.

Jan 27, 2020
My wife is a tea drinker (as well as an Anglophile) and loves PG Tips. She got me into drinking it a few years ago and it's great stuff. I stick mostly to coffee but when I want a tea it's always a PG.

I think PG is the best widely available store bought black tea although I'm sure the tea LARPers find it odious. Typhoon is pretty good too.

Reactions: fMf Piper

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I looked up LARPers and LARPing and it wasn’t much help in understanding your meaning here.
:)

I’m lost, too. I know what larping is, I’m just not sure if how/why it was used here. It’s not typically used in an endearing fashion, so I’m assuming it’s an underhanded comment at people who don’t buy tea in grocery stores?

I’d love some clarification.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Ozark American cultural heritage relegates hot tea mostly to old ladies.

Men and younger people drink sweet tea.

My sweet tea recipe

One gallon size tea bag (orange pekoe only can be used) or four family sized bags or eight small bags.

Two gallon jug full of ice

Drip coffee maker, clean

Use the tea in place of coffee in the basket

Pour full coffee pot of cold water into coffee maker

Squeeze tea out of bags into pot

Pour a quarter of hot tea over ice

Then dissolve all the pure cane sugar the hot tea will dissolve, about two cups.

Pour over ice

Fill pot again and fill jug

Stir and serve fresh

Day old sweet tea isn’t as good

If diabetics complain serve them coffee.:)

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
That's ok I was just cattily referring to those who prepare their tea every time like Chairman Mao and Confusious were popping in for a cuppa.

Have you tried it, though? I don’t do it for the ceremony. It’s fun, but it’s better tea in my opinion. You can taste the changes in the tea throughout the process, as well.

And, to be unceremonious about it, I have a small, $20 gong fu desk brewer that takes all the jazz out of the process but still allows for it. I use it at work which means probably 50% of my tea brewing, while still gong fu, is mundane in the presentation department.

It’s just odd hearing such a sentiment from a pipe smoker. Tea bags are the cigarettes of the tea world, almost literally. Mass produced leaves over-processed to the point that they can be encased in thin paper and sold in boxes of 20 for your enjoyment.

Don’t worry about the presentation, consider the concept. I’m using almost 5x the tea and making a glass that’s 1/4-1/3 the size. Imagine what that does to the flavor and the experience. We don’t even need to talk about the actual leaves and buds vs. the stuff in a tea bag.

That said, it’s still just like pipes. It’s all subjective because taste and nuance are involved. I’d just say don’t knock it until you try it. I’d never even heard of it until I stumbled into a tea shop in Hong Kong and got treated to the entire experience. I couldn’t look back after that even if I’d tried. And, in my opinion and my opinion alone, it’s much better, even without the whole presentation, which is also fun in my opinion.

Hey - I’m a grown man that gets to have genuinely enjoyable, authentic tea parties with his eleven-year-old daughter. That’s a win no matter how you cut it.

The gentleman that ruined tea for me:

2F1D4F86-0243-44A2-8956-EE61DA7E8BCE.jpeg

Last edited:

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Ozark American cultural heritage relegates hot tea mostly to old ladies.

Men and younger people drink sweet tea.

My sweet tea recipe

One gallon size tea bag (orange pekoe only can be used) or four family sized bags or eight small bags.

Two gallon jug full of ice

Drip coffee maker, clean

Use the tea in place of coffee in the basket

Pour full coffee pot of cold water into coffee maker

Squeeze tea out of bags into pot

Pour a quarter of hot tea over ice

Then dissolve all the pure cane sugar the hot tea will dissolve, about two cups.

Pour over ice

Fill pot again and fill jug

Stir and serve fresh

Day old sweet tea isn’t as good

If diabetics complain serve them coffee.:)

Here’s mine, very similar in ingredients but a different method, taught by my mom and literally consumed thousands of gallons growing up in NC

The same amount of tea that you’ve listed (eerie).

We put ours into a 6qt pot about 3/4 of the way full of cold water (not an exact measurement, just where you know it’s slightly under the amount where it’ll boil over if you forget about it; always end up with a little less than a gallon when it’s done, details to follow as to why that’s important). Toss the bags into the cold water at the very beginning and then heat on medium to a boil. Add 2 cups of cane sugar to a gallon pitcher. Bring tea to a boil and turn the heat off once it just starts rolling. Give it 6-7 minutes to cook a little and then scoop out the bag(s) with a slotted spoon and press to strain. Dump the tea into the pitcher, stir profusely, top off with cold water.

Bring it on blood sugar.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
That's ok I was just cattily referring to those who prepare their tea every time like Chairman Mao and Confusious were popping in for a cuppa.

I was thinking about the LARPing equivalent. They’re role playing. This is real. It’d be like those folks out at the park using real bows and arrows and swords to fight off real orcs, or whatever. I’d pay to see that.

Now I want to go watch that movie with McLovin where the guy had to be his “big brother.” Was it Paul Rudd?

Jan 27, 2020
I was thinking about the LARPing equivalent. They’re role playing. This is real. It’d be like those folks out at the park using real bows and arrows and swords to fight off real orcs, or whatever. I’d pay to see that.

Now I want to go watch that movie with McLovin where the guy had to be his “big brother.” Was it Paul Rudd?

I tried to rewatch Superbad a year or so ago. Wish I hadn't as it was much funnier in my memory. Can't say that for Tropic Thunder tho, that never gets old!

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Have you tried it, though? I don’t do it for the ceremony. It’s fun, but it’s better tea in my opinion. You can taste the changes in the tea throughout the process, as well.

And, to be unceremonious about it, I have a small, $20 gong fu desk brewer that takes all the jazz out of the process but still allows for it. I use it at work which means probably 50% of my tea brewing, while still gong fu, is mundane in the presentation department.

It’s just odd hearing such a sentiment from a pipe smoker. Tea bags are the cigarettes of the tea world, almost literally. Mass produced leaves over-processed to the point that they can be encased in thin paper and sold in boxes of 20 for your enjoyment.

Don’t worry about the presentation, consider the concept. I’m using almost 5x the tea and making a glass that’s 1/4-1/3 the size. Imagine what that does to the flavor and the experience. We don’t even need to talk about the actual leaves and buds vs. the stuff in a tea bag.

That said, it’s still just like pipes. It’s all subjective because taste and nuance are involved. I’d just say don’t knock it until you try it. I’d never even heard of it until I stumbled into a tea shop in Hong Kong and got treated to the entire experience. I couldn’t look back after that even if I’d tried. And, in my opinion and my opinion alone, it’s much better, even without the whole presentation, which is also fun in my opinion.

Hey - I’m a grown man that gets to have genuinely enjoyable, authentic tea parties with his eleven-year-old daughter. That’s a win no matter how you cut it.

The gentleman that ruined tea for me:

View attachment 204768
I was unaware of the tea subculture till now. I should have known because it seems like everything has one, but I was (am) truly ignorant on this. I had no idea tea bags were a subpar thing. I thought everyone used tea bags.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I was unaware of the tea subculture till now. I should have known because it seems like everything has one, but I was (am) truly ignorant on this. I had no idea tea bags were a subpar thing. I thought everyone used tea bags.

Not that they’re subpar. There are good tea bags, don’t get me wrong. I’d just say the widely produced and cheap/in every box store stuff is probably bottom of the barrel.

It’s a plant derivative - what all can happen from the time it’s planted until the time you drink it? Is the manufacturer looking to produce the same product year round (Lipton, Tetley, etc.) or are they a small batch producer bound by the elements and the year’s weather pattern? It’s just like anything else, as you’ve mentioned.

It’s just another rabbit hole, but fun, for sure.

F

fMf Piper

Primarily drink black teas. Barry's Original, an Irish tea that I order from the Barry's in Ireland, and Yorkshire Red from the UK - that one I just buy on Amazon. I buy the tea bags for convienence, but I think both are available in loose teas as well. Usually brew them strong and add a touch of milk and little stevia. I have found both go well with whatever tobacco I am smoking so far.

Also drink several green teas, some non-caffinated teas, and dark roast coffee on occassion.

Have tried Pu-Erh, like the flavor but it smelled like our barnyard. May have just been the blend that I tried.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Primarily drink black teas. Barry's Original, an Irish tea that I order from the Barry's in Ireland, and Yorkshire Red from the UK - that one I just buy on Amazon. I buy the tea bags for convienence, but I think both are available in loose teas as well. Usually brew them strong and add a touch of milk and little stevia. I have found both go well with whatever tobacco I am smoking so far.

Also drink several green teas, some non-caffinated teas, and dark roast coffee on occassion.

Have tried Pu-Erh, like the flavor but it smelled like our barnyard. May have just been the blend that I tried.

I brewed some Tie Guan Yin for my boss and she said it smelled like wet hay. You should have seen the lightbulb go off when I told her they were, in fact, wet leaves.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Not that they’re subpar. There are good tea bags, don’t get me wrong. I’d just say the widely produced and cheap/in every box store stuff is probably bottom of the barrel.

It’s a plant derivative - what all can happen from the time it’s planted until the time you drink it? Is the manufacturer looking to produce the same product year round (Lipton, Tetley, etc.) or are they a small batch producer bound by the elements and the year’s weather pattern? It’s just like anything else, as you’ve mentioned.

It’s just another rabbit hole, but fun, for sure.
While generally I find loose bulk tea tastes better than bagged, there are, indeed some tasty bagged teas. Yorkshire gold for instance.