Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
There are different grades of Pu'erh tea. The stuff served in most Chinese restaurants is the lowest and cheapest grade sold in bulk.
Most Pu'erh is "cooked", fermented, pressed into cakes and aged.
You can also get raw or green Pu'erh which results in a more delicate, fragrant brew.

Recommended with a heavy or oily meal as an aid to your digestion.

And buying raw to age on your own is akin to the same with pipe tobacco. Just another rabbit hole. An awesome, awesome rabbit hole.

Gonna brew some sheng puerh in a bit.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Indeed !
And if anyone thinks aged tobacco is expensive (on the secondary market), they will get a huge shock when they see the prices asked for aged tea :eek:

No kidding. If you like aged whites, you should check out Simple Dreams from Mei Leaf. They found a base stock that they think will age well, and they sell the cakes pretty reasonably so you can age them yourself.

I fell in love with their Jade Star cakes and figured I’d buy a tong of these to age. I use the same Boveda packs I did for tobacco.

Reactions: fMf Piper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
No kidding. If you like aged whites, you should check out Simple Dreams from Mei Leaf. They found a base stock that they think will age well, and they sell the cakes pretty reasonably so you can age them yourself.

I fell in love with their Jade Star cakes and figured I’d buy a tong of these to age. I use the same Boveda packs I did for tobacco.

Had to choose between pipes, tobacco, wine and tea 🤔
Tea lost out ☹️

Jan 27, 2020
@BarrelProof Ever cold brew your white teas? I do this in summer, brewing a pot overnight, and have a glass first thing in the morning. Tastes great and apparently it's the best way to maximize the antioxidants in it.

Jan 27, 2020
Are we drinking the same stuff?

Puerh is fermented, stagnant, ditch water. 🤮

But we can't all like the same thing. I'm glad I tried it.

I agree with you. I gave up on Puerh a while ago. People who are into it have tried to tell me that I don't have a developed palate yada yada. and remind me of Radiohead fans.

• Haha
Reactions: BarrelProof

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
@BarrelProof welcome back, long time no see. :)

I really love herbal types of teas, and have found several that seem to go nicely with many blends I’ve smoked.

Of course tastes are subjective, so your mileage will vary.

Tulsi Teas; (I find the ginger one very nice for the palate)

If you didn’t know, Tulsi Teas are made up primarily of Holy Basil, one of the most respected herbs in Indian culture. This is quite big in Indian Ayurveda medicine for it’s health properties as well.

Then, I really like Guayaki Yerba Mate, I like to make it as a tea, from the bags, or leaf, and the canned drinks are really nice too.

If you didn’t know it, Yerba Mate has a wide range of health benefits too.

16769055469216417491389833874616.jpg
Me right now

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Figured I’d throw this on here - when I found out I wasn’t gonna be able to smoke much anymore and changed gears to tea, I had another impulse buying session with clay teapots and gaiwans. My wife was pretty pleased to see all of these show up over about a two week span:

86CB1C72-704C-4EB5-9943-939C5F3E6EDE.jpeg

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I've seen that tray on the websites. What is the morse code

It says what’s written on the bottom left, I believe. I guess I haven’t deciphered it to find out. It could be telling me to go to hell, I’m not sure.

I just like it for the build quality. I’ve been through several and they all leaked. This one is great when I’m not in the kitchen where the permanent, 30” stone one with drainage into the sink lives.

Reactions: B.Fee