PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@BarrelProof welcome back, long time no see. :)

I really love herbal types of teas, and have found several that seem to go nicely with many blends I’ve smoked.

Of course tastes are subjective, so your mileage will vary.

Tulsi Teas; (I find the ginger one very nice for the palate)

If you didn’t know, Tulsi Teas are made up primarily of Holy Basil, one of the most respected herbs in Indian culture. This is quite big in Indian Ayurveda medicine for it’s health properties as well.

Then, I really like Guayaki Yerba Mate, I like to make it as a tea, from the bags, or leaf, and the canned drinks are really nice too.

If you didn’t know it, Yerba Mate has a wide range of health benefits too.

Reactions: fMf Piper

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Just brewed my first infusion of some competition grade Tie Guan Yin oolong from Yunnan Sourcing. Fifteen to twenty more to go!

View attachment 203628

This is one of my absolute favorite teas. I get it in the pre-weighed packets, too. Makes life easy. I love this stuff. Daily drinker for me, but any TGY works.

Ahh Oolong, I forgot to mention, as I see, it looks like you are trying some.

I have not personally drank it while smoking, but I’m quite certain it would go nicely.

I really like Oolong too, just been a long time since I had some.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Ahh Oolong, I forgot to mention, as I see, it looks like you are trying some.

I have not personally drank it while smoking, but I’m quite certain it would go nicely.

I really like Oolong too, just been a long time since I had some.

I love it. This comp grade TGY is my daily. I typically have 2 sessions with it, yielding 12-15 glasses/ea.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
So just Googled Yunnan Sourcing.
Holy Rabbit Hole Batman.
I'd best stick with the bagged tea variety. 🤙

Mei Leaf is another good one, and their YouTube videos are pretty educational.

I’ve found that this is one of the rare instances where buying loose leaf tea from these suppliers is actually both cheaper and much higher quality. You don’t get that too frequently, so I can justify it (or at least that’s what I tell myself).

• Love
Reactions: fMf Piper and B.Fee

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I used to be a rabid collector of Twinings' loose teas and their 100g tea tins.

Being an Anglophile, I also used to have tons of 'tea toys' too - bonafide Brown Betty's of various sizes, tea for one set-ups, tea for two set-ups, cozies, tea balls, that funky-cool spring-hinged perforated double teaspoon for making loose tea in the cup, etc. etc. etc.

My favorite tea was probably Twining's Lady Grey - Earl Grey with orange zest and Biue Flower, taken with 2 sugars, no cream.
Lady_Grey.jpg

However, and for a long time now, since I've been playing around a lot with home blending tabaks, so not to influence how I feel about a blend experiment I am working on, all I drink is straight 365-Brand Green Tea, unflavored, unsweetened, and not too hot.
365_Green_Tea.jpg

So, while I used to love to pair teas with tobaccos - and the effects this created - currently, I don't want my beverage to collude with the taste of the tabak whist I am experimentation mode.

Not doubt, this too shall pass. - Sherm Natman

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Are we drinking the same stuff?

Puerh is fermented, stagnant, ditch water. 🤮

But we can't all like the same thing. I'm glad I tried it.
Not necessarily. You are referring to shou perhaps, and Sheng is an entirely different tea, process, and everything. Also, not all shou are even the same process. Shou is wet fermented rapidly. Sheng is steam pressed and then aged naturally.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Have any of you played with any aged white tea that’s been pressed into cakes?

The first time I had some, I thought it would have paired well with a VaPer, but haven’t tried.

I’d be interested to know if anyone else has done it.

Reactions: fMf Piper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Are we drinking the same stuff?

Puerh is fermented, stagnant, ditch water. 🤮

But we can't all like the same thing. I'm glad I tried it.
There are different grades of Pu'erh tea. The stuff served in most Chinese restaurants is the lowest and cheapest grade sold in bulk.
Most Pu'erh is "cooked", fermented, pressed into cakes and aged.
You can also get raw or green Pu'erh which results in a more delicate, fragrant brew.

Recommended with a heavy or oily meal as an aid to your digestion.