PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Picked up 8 oz of Dark Bird's Eye, went with the vintage cut this time. Snagged a Christmas X105 sandblasted also.View attachment 338475
I’m not the biggest fan of Pete’s, but I’m not a huge detractor either, but the new Christmas ones they put out this year look really sharp. If I wasn’t in tobacco hoarding mode I’d consider getting one.

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
I’m not the biggest fan of Pete’s, but I’m not a huge detractor either, but the new Christmas ones they put out this year look really sharp. If I wasn’t in tobacco hoarding mode I’d consider getting one.
Right now, I have eight pipes I smoke in rotation, some more than others. And for me, that really is enough. I don't have a Pete spigot pipe though, so I was drawn to this one, plus I love their sandblasted finish. I probably won't buy another pipe until maybe next year's Christmas pipe. Like you, I'm mostly into tobacco accumulation.

Joe H

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2024
Alaska
I just finished up a project involving this haul: A tin of Three Nun; 2 ounces of Newminster 403 Superior Round Slice; 1 ounce of Sutliff TS-20 Louisiana Perique; 1 ounce of Low Country's Natural Virginia.

This month I’ve been experimenting with Three Nuns, trying to modify it closer to the original recipe, while tweaking it to suit my particular tastes. I just tinned up 4 ½ ounces of my final version, so now comes the long wait while the mixture absorbs the topping and the tobacco melds.
3 Nuns TAD.jpg

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I just finished up a project involving this haul: A tin of Three Nun; 2 ounces of Newminster 403 Superior Round Slice; 1 ounce of Sutliff TS-20 Louisiana Perique; 1 ounce of Low Country's Natural Virginia.

This month I’ve been experimenting with Three Nuns, trying to modify it closer to the original recipe, while tweaking it to suit my particular tastes. I just tinned up 4 ½ ounces of my final version, so now comes the long wait while the mixture absorbs the topping and the tobacco melds.
View attachment 339155
What did you use for a topping? I would have expected Three Nuns to be fairly close to natural. (I’ve smoked a tin once, but it was nearly 7 years ago. I just remember it tasting like a cigar.)

Joe H

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2024
Alaska
@Singularus, the topping used was rum, brown sugar and star-anise. There's a long thread in the tobacco discussion sub-forum describing the project. It's called "Two Nuns and a Seminarian."

I agree with your description of the modern version, it smelled a bit cigar-like to me and I doubt it's topped much if at all now.

Last edited: