PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

deadidunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2020
Hineston, LA
38 and I don't pay attention or care to much if someone looks. Only couple people that have approached me said, "wow, you never see someone smoking a pipe any more", but that's about it. Co-workers and family are well used to it.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I'm in my 30's and I get a lot of the same stuff people have mentioned. A few double takes here and there.

A decent amount of "oh wow a pipe! I never see those anymore!" and "That pipe smells so nice, reminds me of my grandpa" one lady said "OOoooO a sexy pipe, nice!" a couple of people have said "I wish more people smoked pipes they smell so much better than cigarettes!" never had anyone really trying to make fun, maybe once I had a guy say "aren't you young for that? you must be an old soul" which I took as 90% compliment. I think once I got called a hipster, "Are you one of those hipsters with a beard and pipe?!" Didn't bother me, I just said "yep, sure beats having a cold face and no smoke to enjoy"

The compliments are nice, but I try to just own it and enjoy my pipe, don't worry too much about what people are saying or thinking.

andre3s

Lurker
Dec 7, 2020
Chambly, QC
Hi everyone

So I am 36 and smoke a pipe. People find it hilarious and make fun of me but I love it.

Anyone else on here in their 30s that smoke pipes? If so what kind of reception do you get from people when they see you smoke from a pipe out and about?
Well, well, well... I'm 41 yo and have just started. I only have one pipe and 3 blends at home. More are coming.
My wife was questioning me why I've decided to smoke at "old" age....
Guess what?! She bought her own pipe 2 days ago. ?

gemtx

Might Stick Around
Dec 20, 2020
Dallas, TX
I started smoking in undergraduate college; never in public; so I guess we're talking 20. I saw an ad here with a young man smoking a pipe, so maybe a good sign. My grandfather was an all-day pipe smoker, which is why I tried it. The smell was all memories. These days, I can't imagine smoking in public without receiving a sneer. I wouldn't even do it at the park. Best to all.

Reactions: JOHN72

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I am 51 and I have been smoking pipes for about 6 years now. It's not something I flaunt to the rest of the world, I smoke mostly privately in my basement or in my garage while tinkering, working on a project or surfing the interwebs. My wife and kids see me doing it and most of my closest family knows about it, but only because they visit occasionally and see it firsthand. Most of the time they say nothing of it and some of them (mostly the grankids, nieces and nephews) enjoy the smell and will follow me to the basement, knowing that I'm probably going to light a pipe when I get down there, so I must oblige them. The funny thing is that they will ask me a million questions about it like, "Why did you choose that pipe?" or "Why that tobacco?", "Which tobacco do you smoke the most?", "What does it taste like?", "Does it burn your tongue?", and I always try to answer them as honestly as I can.

Thundersmoke

Lurker
Dec 30, 2020
Hi everyone

So I am 36 and smoke a pipe. People find it hilarious and make fun of me but I love it.

Anyone else on here in their 30s that smoke pipes? If so what kind of reception do you get from people when they see you smoke from a pipe out and about?
I get same reaction but they love the aroma

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'm 38. I've gotten a few comments, mostly positive or joking. One time a tweaker pulled up next to me at a stoplight and asked me if I had any Grey Poupon. Got me pretty good. To be fair, if I didn't take up the pipe myself I'd probably view people our age smoking pipes as taking on an affectation or trying to show off. It's unusual, so I don't expect everyone to get it. I usually only smoke in my car or away home though so I haven't gotten a ton of reactions at all. When I get legitimate questions, I tell them the truth. I was a long time cigarette smoker looking for a less harmful method and cigars are too expensive to smoke all day. Eventually I grew to really enjoy the pipe.

With cigars, the vast majority of comments have been positive, but I have gotten a passive aggressive, fake (I assume) cough here and there. Whatever. Nobody has to like it. I do it because I do.