PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
I started smoking a pipe at 31. It was just something that I had wanted to do since my teens. One day, I asked a pipe-smoking friend if he would give me some pointers. First time, I got pretty sick, but vowed that I would stick with it. Glad that I did. Never had a negative comment from anyone about it.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Just turned 40. Been smoking a pipe since I was 18. Knew I wanted to smoke a pipe when I was 16. I enjoy pipe smoking so much that I often dislike the attention it can sometimes draw. I want to say, “Just leave me to my pipe and tobacco!”

Nevertheless, people often strike up conversations with me about fond memories of their grandfathers or uncles or dads who smoked a pipe.

It seems like pipe smokers are of this certain ilk, doesn’t it? We are people who welcome conversation, even when it means having to relight for the fiftieth time.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Yeah I started pipe smoking 2 years ago then have just started taking it back up again.

I kind of stopped because I kept getting tonuge bite and the general reception I had was pretty negative when out and stuff but now I really don't care what people think anymore.
it is a milestone in one’s journey to realize that most people’s opinions are the opinions of people who live lives of quite desperation.

BeardonBoards

Lurker
Jan 12, 2021
Cleveland, OH
I'm mid-twenties and my mother-in-law loves it. My parents not so much. My mother-in-law smokes cigs and likes the time spent together in her woman cave with me. But as time has gone on (a few months) my parents aren't as appalled by it. I only smoke if I am there and we are outside. Currently don't have anyone else that smokes with me, but might try to convince my friends with celebratory cigars because 2 of them are having babies this month.

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
Hi everyone

So I am 36 and smoke a pipe. People find it hilarious and make fun of me but I love it.

Anyone else on here in their 30s that smoke pipes? If so what kind of reception do you get from people when they see you smoke from a pipe out and about?
I’m 41. I bought my first pipe back at 28. I don’t give a f about other people. I spent a lot of my life caring about that. Older you get, less you care and that’s awesome. :)

JB00

Lurker
Feb 15, 2021
I’m 24 and have been smoking a pipe since 18. I have only ever had one person comment negatively. I get a lot more judgement when people learn that I have several pounds of whole leaf tobacco and that I make my own pipe blends/cigars.

oh well, it is what it is.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
30's here. I smoke mostly privately, but refuse to abstain when it's appropriate and respectful to smoke around others.

But I definitely get shit for it, alot of it do to the irony of it and my title/profession at work.

Whatever. I'm into alot of things that others aren't. I like to say I've blossomed into a nerd late in life, about alot of things.
May I ask... what title/profession are you in that gives irony to the act of pipe smoking?

biz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2020
Florida
Pipe smoking has always been an outlier. It will always be looked at differently. They don't know what they are missing. Enjoy.

Reactions: Trainpipeman

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
I am 41 and have been smoking a pipe for about 12 years now. I don't know if I've ever really thought about it as something to do with age. I like tobacco products in various forms and pipe tobacco is cheap compared to the cigars that I like. I say just do what you like I suppose