PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Hi everyone

So I am 36 and smoke a pipe. People find it hilarious and make fun of me but I love it.

Anyone else on here in their 30s that smoke pipes? If so what kind of reception do you get from people when they see you smoke from a pipe out and about?
man I've been smoking fine cigars- smelly stogies, regularly since 23 - I picked up the pipe at 30 - Pipe smoking was a big thing with US collegiate crowd since the 1920's - so you aren't strange or out of the ordinary

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm twice your age plus, but I can say this. A few eccentricities are a good thing, to give yourself a little social elbow room. People think they want you to be more like them, but if you were, they'd feel competitive and a little hostile. Whereas, if you have a decisive eccentricity or two, people may laugh, but they will remember you, and probably admire your independence. So you have the right attitude. Let them laugh. From time to time, something old school becomes a furious fad and trend, and then people will think you are clairvoyant. Leave 'em laughing, keep 'em guessing.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
30's here. I smoke mostly privately, but refuse to abstain when it's appropriate and respectful to smoke around others.

But I definitely get shit for it, alot of it do to the irony of it and my title/profession at work.

Whatever. I'm into alot of things that others aren't. I like to say I've blossomed into a nerd late in life, about alot of things.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I was about to say Welcome to the forum when I saw your 2 posts, but then realized 2018, we need to boost that activity level... LOL

Yes the world is a strange place, it’s 2020, and you’d think we would be more advanced by now as a civilization.... LOL

Be happy, proud and puff away!

I’m assuming with your nick you are in the UK, so who cares what those Posh Tossers think! LOL :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
<< Snipped bits out >>

I’m assuming with your nick you are in the UK, so who cares what those Posh Tossers think! LOL :ROFLMAO:

If so, where?

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

ukparagolfer

Lurker
May 1, 2018
UK
If so, where?

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.
Yeah UK here.

I live in suffolk.

ukparagolfer

Lurker
May 1, 2018
UK
@ukparagolfer

The better question for the Community is, you said hi 2 years ago, and 2 years make your first post. LOL...

Where did you go, are you back? :)

P.S. Welcome back! ?

Yeah I started pipe smoking 2 years ago then have just started taking it back up again.

I kind of stopped because I kept getting tonuge bite and the general reception I had was pretty negative when out and stuff but now I really don't care what people think anymore.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Yeah I started pipe smoking 2 years ago then have just started taking it back up again.

I kind of stopped because I kept getting tonuge bite and the general reception I had was pretty negative when out and stuff but now I really don't care what people think anymore.
Every man worth having the balls he drags around needs a certain dose of “don’t give a shit.” Not too little, and not too much, but just enough. ?