PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
Got my XL307 cleaned up today. It was in nearly flawless shape but it was absolutely filthy. The previous owner had kept the cake very nearly trimmed and very even but the well was nearly full of gunk. This leads me to believe it was a great smoker and will continue to be so. I did a salt treatment on it to get the ghost out of the cake but only trimmed the cake up. It was to beautifully caked to ream back to bare wood. I used a little carbon off on the rim to get rid of the lava. This was otherwise a standard clean up.
View attachment 229319View attachment 229320View attachment 229321View attachment 229322View attachment 229323View attachment 229324View attachment 229325View attachment 229326
This cleaned up so nicely! Well done per usual. Also, you are so right about the low slung flare on its stem. It really accentuates the chubbiness of the 9 shape even with the longer stem.

We really need to see more 9 shapes with short stems, though. A BC deluxe and Standard System would be 👌👌👌

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
This cleaned up so nicely! Well done per usual. Also, you are so right about the low slung flare on its stem. It really accentuates the chubbiness of the 9 shape even with the longer stem.

We really need to see more 9 shapes with short stems, though. A BC deluxe and Standard System would be 👌👌👌
I didn’t realize how long the stem was on the Standard until I put next to the other two. On its own it looks short, but it is substantially longer than the 9BC.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Final pipe for today, this 1980 Donegal Rocky 503 was very lightly smoked so it really didn’t require much clean up, basically just a scrub out and a stem polish. The 500 series pipes were only made for a short period in the 80’s so these are fairly uncommon. It is substantially larger than an 80 or 80s. I am not a fan of Peterson’s new rustication, but this is well rusticated to me. IMG_6965.jpegIMG_6966.jpegIMG_6969.jpeg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Got my XL307 cleaned up today. It was in nearly flawless shape but it was absolutely filthy. The previous owner had kept the cake very nearly trimmed and very even but the well was nearly full of gunk. This leads me to believe it was a great smoker and will continue to be so. I did a salt treatment on it to get the ghost out of the cake but only trimmed the cake up. It was to beautifully caked to ream back to bare wood. I used a little carbon off on the rim to get rid of the lava. This was otherwise a standard clean up.
View attachment 229319View attachment 229320View attachment 229321View attachment 229322View attachment 229323View attachment 229324View attachment 229325View attachment 229326

I was unaware of Carbon-Off!’s existence. Does it affect the finish/stain? I’ve got some rusticated pipes with lava in the indentations that saliva can’t budge.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I was unaware of Carbon-Off!’s existence. Does it affect the finish/stain? I’ve got some rusticated pipes with lava in the indentations that saliva can’t budge.
I’ve haven’t used it on any heavily stained or black pipes, but it doesn’t seem to have any effect on lightly stained or unstained pipes. It’s essentially jellied ammonia. It turns carbon into goo that can be simply wiped off with a paper towel. I suspect it might affect lacquer.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I’ve haven’t used it on any heavily stained or black pipes, but it doesn’t seem to have any effect on lightly stained or unstained pipes. It’s essentially jellied ammonia. It turns carbon into goo that can be simply wiped off with a paper towel. I suspect it might affect lacquer.
I just use a flat bladed pocket knife.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Seems like people like those fat 9BCs or XL 90s...first De Luxe (9BC) is Made in Ireland,second Dublin &London is republic and Limerick XL 90 is also republic pipe...Limerick bowl is slightly shorter..I Have seen some new revival 9Bs the other day personally and noticed a few rusticated bowls are likely just regular XL90s and sandblasted are POY 9Bs from few years back..Its a different shape and they got slightly different stem angle.They call both shapes 9B revival...Nice pipes but I already get fat ones from a different time so did not buy any..Rustication is surprisingly nice on a new ones..20230624_154604_HDR.jpg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Also snagged this. I like the look of the short stem tankard. Not a fan of the long stem.

I was cruising eBay, because of another project, and this popped up.

Site sponsor, Pete, shorty and sandblast. Yes please.

View attachment 229866View attachment 229867
That is nice! I always wanted to pull the trigger on the natural outdoor tankard, but for me it was too short.