Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I’ve never been a fan of most of the 500 shape numbers, most of them are a little to Danish for my taste. Nothing wrong with them but just not my cup of tea. Having said that I do like the 503 Bulldog and I’ve been looking for one for a while. A Donegal Rocky 503 showed up on eBay a few the days ago, just my luck it was bid or best offer. With no bids at 1 day left I submitted a low offer, seller accepted it with 5 seconds left and no bids. I’ll post some more pics once it’s cleaned up. With Petersons rustication being all over the place stylistically I usually avoid Donegal Rocky’s but I’m pretty happy with the rustication on this one. IMG_6811.jpeg

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Finally landed a Twain (1984) for a reasonable price since it went under the radar. Stem needs to be refreshed, the stummel has a bunch of the micro-dings that come with an old pipe, and there’s just a touch of rim char near the stem side of the top of the bowl. Otherwise pretty nice. If anyone's got a 1988 and wants a 1984, let me know!

Also, anyone have thoughts on trying to "paint" or fill in the P logo so that it’s white like the stem was originally? What's your view on what things things should be done to restore a pipe and what things should be avoided?

View attachment 226429
I use these to fill stem stampings.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I’ve never been a fan of most of the 500 shape numbers, most of them are a little to Danish for my taste. Nothing wrong with them but just not my cup of tea. Having said that I do like the 503 Bulldog and I’ve been looking for one for a while. A Donegal Rocky 503 showed up on eBay a few the days ago, just my luck it was bid or best offer. With no bids at 1 day left I submitted a low offer, seller accepted it with 5 seconds left and no bids. I’ll post some more pics once it’s cleaned up. With Petersons rustication being all over the place stylistically I usually avoid Donegal Rocky’s but I’m pretty happy with the rustication on this one. View attachment 226440
I saw that one and pondered it. Good catch.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Well done bro! How much do these go for these days anyways?
The latest one in better condition than mine sold for $265 and one worse than mine sold for $201. And this pretty rough one sold for $150 which is more than I paid for mine.

It’s a very small consolation to that unsmoked Millenium I missed that I told you about 😅

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Smoked 14Bs have been going for $200 plus lately.
Yeah $200 for an unsmoked rusticated, $325 for an unsmoked sandblast, less than $300 via OBO (by me) for an unsmoked heritage, and $365 for an unsmoked terracotta.

Definitely kicking myself for passing up a sandblast I found for $160 but I was really holding out for a smooth. Ended up pulling the trigger on that heritage but am kind of regretting it too as what I really want is a dark smooth.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Yeah $200 for an unsmoked rusticated, $325 for an unsmoked sandblast, less than $300 via OBO (by me) for an unsmoked heritage, and $365 for an unsmoked terracotta.

Definitely kicking myself for passing up a sandblast I found for $160 but I was really holding out for a smooth. Ended up pulling the trigger on that heritage but am kind of regretting it too as what I really want is a dark smooth.
There was an unsmoked Twain in box that sold a few days ago for $50 😭

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Finally landed a Twain (1984) for a reasonable price since it went under the radar. Stem needs to be refreshed, the stummel has a bunch of the micro-dings that come with an old pipe, and there’s just a touch of rim char near the stem side of the top of the bowl. Otherwise pretty nice. If anyone's got a 1988 and wants a 1984, let me know!

Also, anyone have thoughts on trying to "paint" or fill in the P logo so that it’s white like the stem was originally? What's your view on what things things should be done to restore a pipe and what things should be avoided?

View attachment 226429
That stamp looks pretty shallow, I doubt any solution will hold up.
For stamp fills, I'm a fan of acrylic nail polish

Wet Dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2023
Littleton, CO
Also, anyone have thoughts on trying to "paint" or fill in the P logo so that it’s white like the stem was originally?

Here's my take on that. Now, this is my only Peterson:

I like that they are affordable, but I'm not willing to put the work that's needed to clean them, therefore never got another one.

nelamvr6

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2023
I've only got two now, but I can always get a bigger rack...

V4VtSCT.jpg

R6BaMam.jpg

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Birth year pipes have never really been something I chased, especially since I’m not a Dunhill fan. I love Petersons but their hallmarking is spotty at best especially in the early 19080’s smack in middle of the republic era. But nonetheless I passively searched for a 1982 Peterson, never really expecting much. But the other day a 1982 System Deluxe 20s popped up on eBay. I figured I probably won’t have another chance at a 1982 System Deluxe so I snagged. So I own 2 Republic era pipes now. IMG_6896.jpeg

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Birth year pipes have never really been something I chased, especially since I’m not a Dunhill fan. I love Petersons but their hallmarking is spotty at best especially in the early 19080’s smack in middle of the republic era. But nonetheless I passively searched for a 1982 Peterson, never really expecting much. But the other day a 1982 System Deluxe 20s popped up on eBay. I figured I probably won’t have another chance at a 1982 System Deluxe so I snagged. So I own 2 Republic era pipes now. View attachment 228436
I looked at that.............................

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Birth year pipes have never really been something I chased, especially since I’m not a Dunhill fan. I love Petersons but their hallmarking is spotty at best especially in the early 19080’s smack in middle of the republic era. But nonetheless I passively searched for a 1982 Peterson, never really expecting much. But the other day a 1982 System Deluxe 20s popped up on eBay. I figured I probably won’t have another chance at a 1982 System Deluxe so I snagged. So I own 2 Republic era pipes now. View attachment 228436
Well I think you picked a good one! I now understand what you mean about the vulcanite stems in the '80s though, not because of this pipe but another pipe I acquired.