PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
View attachment 225023
308 system revival showed up today
I do not like current rustication but this one looks great!What a differece different stem makes ...the same bowl as 14b but different look ...I ve got 312 made in England in 60s looking quite similar...The only thing I would be worry about is rustication makes thin walls of this pipe bowl even thinner...Any hot spots smoking it?

Last edited:

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Yeah I thought the same thing. I guess people really don’t like the rustication? Personally I love it feels great in hand. I’ve always liked the way pine cones look tho 😂
I don't share your affinity for pine cones but they definitely feel great in hand!

I like the mix of the muscular shaping with the rugged rustication. Plus I think it does hearken to the rustication in the Eire Era like the Éire 363 found on PPN, though that pipe's rustication is less random looking and has a more refined look. Maybe they'll progress that way in the future.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I do not like current rustication but this one looks great!What a differece different stem makes ...the same bowl as 14b but different look ...I ve got 312 made in England in 60s looking quite similar...The only thing I would be worry about is rustication makes thin walls of this pipe bowl even thinner...Any hot spots smoking it?
I've only smoked a half bowl out of this one but no hot spots that I've noticed. I have a rusticated spigot which I've smoked a number of times and also haven't noticed hot spots but YMMV.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

jakesmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
Michigan
It’s actually a bit bigger than my 14b. Might be they started with a fatter bowl to make up for the rustication and avoiding any thin spots? No hot spots. Has been a great smoker so far!

jakesmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
Michigan
I don't share your affinity for pine cones but they definitely feel great in hand!

I like the mix of the muscular shaping with the rugged rustication. Plus I think it does hearken to the rustication in the Eire Era like the Éire 363 found on PPN, though that pipe's rustication is less random looking and has a more refined look. Maybe they'll progress that way in the future.
As long as they stay away from the pineapple rustication I’ll be happy 😂

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
A few so so pics but the 308 is definitely a lot chunkier View attachment 225448View attachment 225449
Two sandblasts and a dark smooth? Teach me your ways before the 2023 POTY!

Also, does anyone know if the band on the 308 reissue is historically accurate? I'm not saying it isn't but I don't think I've seen a domed band that doesn't transition smoothly. It's like half way between the standard band and the deluxe band.

jakesmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
Michigan
Two sandblasts and a dark smooth? Teach me your ways before the 2023 POTY!

Also, does anyone know if the band on the 308 reissue is historically accurate? I'm not saying it isn't but I don't think I've seen a domed band that doesn't transition smoothly. It's like half way between the standard band and the deluxe band.
Let’s just say I spend to much time on the internet searching for pipes 😅

Heres a shot of an older 308 with the new 308.IMG_5513.jpeg

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I have wanted a pre-republic Pete as my first one and found one for 120$ with a pretty trashed rim. Otherwise, a nice pipe, once I get it I’ll decide if I want to pay for any restoration. The only thing to do is remove wood on the rim and restrain, etc. if it’s not too bad I may just leave it. Maybe I’ll just call this a Home-rusticated rim! 😂

IMG_5332.jpeg
IMG_5331.jpeg

Last edited: