PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Look at the 'foot' of the pipe. That will tell you if it has been colored through smoking or the pipe has been given the Oxblood treatment. If you look at one my favorite pipes and then compare it to a group photograph taken about eight years ago you can see how the color works on these old pipes. I can dig the pictures out if you want but I don't have @Chasing Embers skills to mark the individual pipe in the group photograph but if compared to a single picture the point both he and myself are making becomes crystal clear.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
thumbnail-3.jpegthumbnail-7.jpegOK. Here we go. If you look at the first picture of a group of pipes taken in 2014/2015 you will see at approximately 12 o'clock a silver banded 'cutty' with some degree of color, but not a whole lot. If you then compare that picture with the two pictures of the same pipe taken recently you can see the effects of the pipe being smoked. If you look at the 'foot' of the 'cutty' you can see the effect of smoking the pipe which is distinctly different from oxblood coloring.

4vKRRe1.jpg