PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’ve tried one before, and it came out ok but the fit to the delrin got wonky. The stems seem more of a plastic (like MM cob stems), so I used water at boiling temp.
There’s a couple places you can get mini stems and delrin inserts from, but even ordering three sets they’re hit and miss on the fit-crazy.
I’ll go through the extras and see if I find one that fits well enough to have a backup.
Then there’s the fact that they won’t fit the case, which is surprising high quality for the cost of the pipe/case.
Not perfect, but good enough.
Being as cheap as a mid-level cob, I think they’re awesome little pipes.
IMG_1040.jpeg

Jon C.P.G.

Might Stick Around
Sep 29, 2023
Canada
Some pictures of a Star Meerschaum pipes large Billiard I had sent off to a Canadian repair and restorer who can hand cut p lip stems, Charles Lemon from dadspipes

First two pictures are from the site when I purchased it and now with some upgrades, a properly made tapered bore hand cut p lip stem of German ebonite with a nickel band for shank reinforcement.

very last picture is after Charles gave it a complimentary quick beeswax dip since its never had any maintenance since I got it over a year ago. Really balanced out the color 👍🏻

(This is a GIANT Billiard)

I also have two Peterson African meers with him getting some hand cut 8 swirl Green and black ebonite p lips made and I plan to have my new bent ball MBSD meer a black ebonite p lip stem made as well.

what can I say, I prefer the p lip
1000008873.jpg1000008874.jpg
1000008869.jpg
1000008870.jpg
1000009642.jpg

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Wow, took nearly two weeks to arrive and their estate department really has gone downhill. This is the second meerschaum estate that I've received from them that wasn't cleaned and there's a chunk out of the stem that wasn't listed in the description.

View attachment 319283

And oh yes did they get an email from me.
It's quite sad when you end up trusting fleabay more than SP estates.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Estate pipes? Like....ones someone already slobbered all over?

Gross

🤮

puffy
When i first joined a local group of cigar smokers in SD many moons ago, i had just started smoking cigars, knew little about them, never had a cuban, nothing, so we met at a local bar that you could smoke on the outside patio (the GM was a member of the group) anyway they always did Puff Puff Passes, they were smoking the crazy vintage and rare cubans so it was common place to pass them around for people to try and discuss. They all knew each other for upwards of 20 years and sometimes more and this was common place (there was a slobberer but they tended to skip him or remind him to "wipe your fucking mouth" or "stop drooling" lol) they met every week and it took me 2 months so about 12 herfs to consider PPPing with them LOL ... you get to know people and people are careful not to drool, lick their lips, if they are sick they don't PPP etc., Covid pretty much killed the PPP but it's making its comeback. Sadly im in FL now anyway and no one smokes sticks around me.

• Haha
Reactions: didimauw
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Interestingly, my Altinok is reversing in color. I think the early, rapid coloring was wax that is how wearing off. The top photo below was two months ago, the second today.

IMG_1990.jpeg

IMG_2133.jpeg

My newest Altinay is coloring nicely, I suspect this is also the wax.
IMG_2132.jpeg

And the oldest of the three, an Altinay, keeps very gradually getting darker all over. This one has near 1,000 bowls through it. The photo doesn't do it justice, it has a much darker tint in person. The hero has turned near black.

IMG_2134.jpeg
image.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'll posit that the almost black bottom (of the bowl) and shank is due to the use of a button or drilled coin placed in the base allowing the accumulation of tar and other :poop: from decades of smoking.

@condorlover1 is probably the best person to comment on the coloration of antique meers
Looks like the bottom of the bowl and shank are oxblood.