PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Preferred Member
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
ejames wrote:
Since you have a bent and a straight Viking you need to find a Viking Jr. Small version of the straight Vikings--very hard to find though
Well, it took seven months to find one, but mission accomplished!
Here's Junior next to a big brother for comparison:

tuold

Preferred Member
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
davet, I think you would like the bent Viking. It's my favorite.
Ted over at the Dr Grabow forums wrote that the Juniors were only made for a year or so before being discontinued due to poor sales.

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
I like seagullplayer's rusticated/carved Royalton. If you are buying new, I think it is worth considering spending a few bucks more for Royaltons. I have a bulldog, but smooth, and what they sell as an apple that looks more to me like a prince with a shorter bowl. The Royalton has a very comfortable acrylic stem and I think the shaping on my bulldog is more crafted than most factory pipes, even up-market pipes. I sense that the Dr. Grabow pipe makers take a real pride in the product and are mostly pipe smokers themselves, up there in Sparta, N.C. Don't let the low price deceive you; these are good little pipes. Many like to smoke them without the filters, but if you like a slightly tighter draw than you get that way, an adapter such as the 6 mm Savinelli will do the job nicely. If you need a good briar pipe at a strikingly fair price, a Dr. Grabow Royalton will do the job.

davet

Preferred Member
May 9, 2015
My latest acquisition, Linkman's Dr. Grabow Deluxe. It's in very nice shape other than the gnawing marks on the stem, an alligator perhaps 8O

Should clean up nicely.

ejames

Preferred Member
Oct 6, 2009
davet,love that Linkmans--one of my favorite Linkman shapes !
Scrooge--beautiful Westbrook !!

davet

Preferred Member
May 9, 2015
My latest linkman's, 9733, Apple ?. It's in very nice shape, minimal chatter a few minor dings and scratches. I'll give it a quick cleaning and call it good.

davet

Preferred Member
May 9, 2015
Another one that I received today. I'm in the process of cleaning and repairing this and there is some nice grain under all that grunge.

davet

Preferred Member
May 9, 2015
Yes, a Starfire. I've wanted one of that shape for a while now. I am drawn to the odd and old ones. Scored another linkman's tonight.

lotharen

Jul 26, 2016
I had no idea there were that many variations by Grabow. I've only ever seen one straight pipe and the bent omega I have.

danielplainview

Preferred Member
Mar 30, 2014
wv
Here's one of my favorite additions to the Grabow collection. I was excited to get ahold of this one. The seldom seen Continental #25. I'm working on getting all 12 Continental shapes. This makes number 8 of the 12.
Dr Grabow Starfire Continental #25

scrooge

Preferred Member
Apr 24, 2015
Well now I know what Continental Pipes means. Classy odd shapes. By the way Great pipe. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.