PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Another one picked up yesterday, stamping is too faint to read the model. Only the one fill, other than that it'll be a nice pipe.
dscf10083-600x450.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I took a big risk on that one. Shiny Pipes had it, and they wanted $95 for it. I watched it for about two months, and the price slowly, but progressively dropped. When it got to $45, I grabbed it. Made in the early '40s, it sports both the Linkman's and Dr. Grabow stamps, plus it has serial numbers for the pipe and stinger. Nice little featherweight, and very fine smoker.
Shiny Pipes has had several nice Linkmans in the last few months--all over priced. If they were Select Grain or Tru-Grain pipes in a rare shape I might pay those kind of prices.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'll try contacting them, I did once before about a replacement stem but never did get a reply. Thanks for the heads up.
Best thing might be to call and talk to Debbie. She handles all the calls and emails etc. Seems like they are only open 4 days a week,middle of the week may be best.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I almost paid the $95. I took a gamble and waited, and ended up with a very fine smoker. It's even warming me up to stingers.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I wonder if Shiny pipes sells on commission? I have a bunch of nice older Linkmans I'd be tickled shitless to sell at those kind of prices.Even after commission fees. Actually I have only two--if I remember correctly-- that I would ask those prices for- both WW2 era pipes

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I may start collecting them. The old Grabows seem to be better quality as the newer ones I have, that darned metal tenon is shredding the mortise.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I may start collecting them. The old Grabows seem to be better quality as the newer ones I have, that darned metal tenon is shredding the mortise.
Is the pipe that is shredding the mortise a push stem filter pipe with aluminum tenon? Usually,the only reason that happens is if someone has tried to spread the tenon to make it fit tighter. Those tenons are made with a slit in them and sometimes folks will use a screwdriver etc inserted into that slit to spread the end. Doing that makes the corners-at the very end of the tenon-- spread out effectively turning the tenon into a drill bit. Those tenons should never be spread. If the stem is loose use nail polish or bees wax to tighten it. If that is happening you can gently file those little corners off and use another way to tighten the stem.
Oh, don't forget--many of the later pipes have the Ajustomatic screw stems- available in both filtered and removable stinger types.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My foray into the world of Grabow has been fairly recent. As with most of the pipes I own, the first Grabow arrived in a group of nasty old smokers that included a rough little Westbrook carved apple.

I was so taken with how good it smoked that I began to read some of the stuff that's out in web place about it and was soon hunting both Westbrooks and also some of those from the 30's and 40's....Here's a Grabow Linkman's Supreme Rhodesian that I got. It has some rim burn but it's still got all its wood.

supreme-600x450.jpg

laearl

Lurker
Oct 12, 2010
Lower Alabama
My foray into the Linkman/Grabow line of pipes beings with this odd shape, well odd to me. I've searched and searched but have not found any information of this shape.
Linkman Filt-O-Cork #3929 with a white spade in top of bit. Beautiful birds-eye and a few fills. The scoop bowl design is what sucked me in. :D Cleaned up nicely too.
29735374036_df0880bd82_z.jpg

29735332926_b71b8ac58e_n.jpg

29771202195_9b99579b2b_z.jpg

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Wow! I haven't seen that shape before, laearl. I dig it. The birdseye on that one is pretty sweet.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Linkman Filt-O-Cork #3929 with a white spade in top of bit. Beautiful birds-eye and a few fills. The scoop bowl design is what sucked me in. [:D] Cleaned up nicely too.
Don't see many Filt-O-Corks and I don't recall ever seeing one in that shape ! Linkman did make a few shapes with scalloped type rims.

Nice score !

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Nice one. What does the Adjustomatic refer to? I've often wondered about that

It refers to the screw-in tenon/mortise fitting. Unlike a Kaywoodie screw-in joint, for example, if the stem on an Ajustomatic pipe becomes overclocked, you can just continue to turn it clockwise until it lines up again.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Just saw a wonderful Linkman's hit the bay tonight. ejammes would have loved it. Hope you are well ejames.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Just saw a wonderful Linkman's hit the bay tonight. ejammes would have loved it. Hope you are well ejames.
Thank you, I am doing good so far !! I've been busy selling my pipes on Ebay and have sold over 100 of them and gave away quite a few more pipes and most of my bulk tobacco. Getting down toward the bottom of the barrel--the main thing left to sell is my big Grabow display--which may prove to be a trick--or a headache !

Status
Not open for further replies.