PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I finally was able to win a author shape Silver Duke on ebay. These seem to be very much sought after pipes. It was in really bad shape but cleaned up satisfactorily.
silver%20duke%20after_zps87gfld9j.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
As you have found out Grabow made many different lines--Duke,Viscount Starfire etc. Each of those lines has it's own finish -on the older pipes anyway, or some may share a finish and color,such as the Silver Duke and the older Regals.The Regal was a stinger equipped pipe while the Silver Duke was a filter pipe-both have the Ajustomatic feature. Each line was available in smooth or rusticated versions and each line was available in MANY different shapes.

If you were to collect only one line,say the Viscount, you could end up with approximately 150 different pipes if you get one in each of the available shapes and in the two available finishes.In other words 75 shapes in two finishes.

Do not confuse line names with shapes. A Savoy is not a Savoy because it is a full bent billiard,it can be a Dublin (small or large) an Apple (small or large) or a pot--small or large and it can be smooth or rusticated.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Hey james, so what exactly does the line refer to? The finish? Because I have some dukes that are dark walnut stained and some that are lighter. It seems most Riviera's (my fav) are dark stained, but I have some that are lighter as well. So does the line refer to the finish? If so I guess the finish changed frequently over the years for some lines? Because I've seen each lines with very different finishes
Not entirely. Think of it like cars-- Dodge Coronet,Dodge Charger,Ford Mustang. Dodge and Ford are brand names, while Charger,Mustang and Coronet are model ( or line) names. Dr. Grabow is a brand and Viscount,Starfire,Golden Duke and a dozen (or two) others are models- or LINES.

Each line generally has it own color but sometimes the colors was shared with other lines. Starfire and Berwyck,Eldorado and Emperor for example. The Berwyck and Emperor were coupon pipes made for RJ Reynolds. Some lines share the same rustication,such as the double carving seen on Viscount,Starfire,early Golden Dukes,and Westbrooks,but they are differently stained. Also the colors and rustication used on some lines has changed over the years.The Golden Dukes produced today look much different than the first generation Golden Dukes.

It can be quite confusing but the main thing that determines what line a pipe is-- the name stamped on it. Just remember that each line is available in two finishes--smooth and rusticated.

And just to make it more confusing,some shapes have changed over the years. There are three distinct versions of the 81( Author) shape. You have to look closely but there are differences.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Two 81 and two 83's-wow! Love the unbanded( no extension) Golden Dukes!! Don't see a lot of those.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I also added a Grand Duke and yet another Viking to my collection. These came out of a lot of nine pipes from ebay. More to come.
The Grand Duke has an Ajustomatic stem but accommodates a 6mm filter.
viking%20and%20grand%20duke_zpsudsebctn.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The Grand Duke has an Ajustomatic stem but accommodates a 6mm filter.
If you look at the charts Grabow never made that Grand Duke!! My guess would be that it is a "Lane era" pipe,during which a lot of weird Grabows were made. The color says top of the line Eldorado and while the Eldorado (most of them anyway) had the Ajustomatic they did not take a filter. Looks like they took a pipe that should have been a Golden or Silver Duke,finished it like an Eldorado--and stamped it Grand Duke.

For some reason (it seems to me) they did a lot of strange things with the Grand Duke. I have a Grand Duke Canadian-not on the charts,also a sandblasted Grand Duke--again,not on the charts and a weird half bent sitter that ain't on the charts.

great score !

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Not your average drugstore pipe.
The Emperor was a coupon mail order pipe and the highest grade Dr. Grabow made. This is also a Continental shaped Emperor so it's double rare. These don't show up very often and I was happy to add another Emperor to the Grabow family. Ed, please chime in if I bungled any details.
Dr. Grabow Ajustomatic Emperor X40.
1Fqlb2Ul.jpg

Reactions: unclefloyd

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
This just came in. I think it's a Continental No 22....maybe in a Starfire configuration? It's only stamped "Dr Grabow" on the bottom. It's a little beaten up but I think I make it presentable.
banged%20up%20grabow_zpswut2gb1n.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Here's a No 23 I just added to the collection today. It's in mint condition. No stamping or branding on it other than "Imported Briar". It could probably use a minute on the wheel. Maybe later.
no%2023_zpsr00d9z43.jpg

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Do the current pipes use vilcanite stems? I saw one at the drug store and it looked more plastic. If not, when did they stop using vulcanite on the stems?
Great pipes all - damn these blasted show off threads. Increasing my PAD list everyone of them.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I have gotten away from restorations and refurbs lately even though I have approximately 100 pipes (my own) that need to be shined up. This one was sent to me by a friend in Florida. He buys and sell a lot of pipes on Ebay and when he gets an old Linkmans in he sends them to me for my collection.
This is an example of the earliest Dr. Grabows-- a 9254 paneled Dublin, and was made in 1932-33.Back then they were just simply Linkmans Dr. Grabows--no line name as the later pipes had. What makes these different from the pipes made just a year or so later is that the female threads in the shank are cut directly into the wood and the very crude looking stinger. Looks like it was cut with a hatchet or something !
It had three problems-all stem related. The stem was stuck and also had a v shaped crack in the button-lip area and it was slightly under clocked. After filling it alcohol and letting it soak for a few hours the stem came out. I corrected the under clocking by carefully sanding the end of the shank. A bit of CA glue took care of the cracks. Other than than all I did was strip the lacquer which wasn't in very good shape,sanded the stem then buffed and waxed it.
2016-03-31-001-800x400-600x300.jpg

2016-03-31-002-800x601-600x450.jpg

2016-04-06-001-800x409-600x306.jpg

2016-04-06-003-800x403-600x302.jpg

2016-04-06-004-800x574-600x430.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Do the current pipes use vilcanite stems? I saw one at the drug store and it looked more plastic. If not, when did they stop using vulcanite on the stems?
peteguy, all of the current Grabows except for the Royalton have ABS plastic stems as do most Grabows made from the mid-late 80's. Grabow started switching over to ABS in 1981 if I remember correctly. The Regals were the last line to use vulcanite.

Status
Not open for further replies.