Indiana
My latest, my first Bulldog style.
I really like it.
1206152028_zpsnsvydo0z.jpg

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Just received this very lightly smoked Emperor, very slim, petite pipe. 5 3/4" long, 1 3/8" high. I don't think this was smoked more than a couple of times, there's no marks or chatter at all on the stem.
dscf1088-600x450.jpg

Next up is a bent bulldog, no markings visible but I'll look closer when I strip it.

Could be a Grabow stem on something else but it's a perfect fit.
dscf1099-600x450.jpg

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Now after looking at my order history and not finding it I have figured out why the Emperor is in such fantastic shape, I never bought it at all it's from dave g :oops: That explains why it looks so good, what an awesome surprize and addition to my collection. Thanks so much Dave, very much appreciated :worship:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Could be that my eyeballs are warped or something but that bulldog just doesn't look right. Kinda looks like a Linkmans 87 with a later Sparta made 83 ajustomatic stem. The Ajusto stems will screw into some of the Linkmans. Are the stamping legible? Does the stem have a one piece stinger?

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
I can't see any stampings on the bowl at all, not even faint impressions. The stem had a two piece, appears cut off at the joint/end of the threads. I'll wait for the younger eyes to get home and have a look for me.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Looking closely at the spade it appears to be an early Sparta stem. The material used for the spade is different than the later stems--it not a bright white like the later stems. If that is the case it would be a two piece(removable) stinger/tenon.

Grabow did make quite a few unstamped pipes or pipes stamped only "imported briar". They've also made subtle changes to some shapes over the years. For example the early 81 Authors are slightly different than the later models. Your bulldog may be early unstamped 83 that was based on the Linkman 87.

HLT used some Linkman shapes until they started bringing out new shapes in the mid 50's.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
If that is the case it would be a two piece(removable) stinger/tenon.
Yes it was two piece, the remains of the removable piece is still inside, I'll try and remove later. Thanks for all the info, very interesting stuff. New, hopefully better pics , when it's cleaned up.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
My daughter gave me an early Christmas present a Dr. Grabow Starfire.
1215150655.jpg

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
I see yours had the spade stamped in front of the Name as well as the on the stem, I don't have any with that... yet. I love finding these older ones, but there's so much temptation out there.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
IMG_0098_zpshkfrzvrw.jpg

IMG_0108_zpsu1ilxj8f.jpg

IMG_0109_zpsfevtbbjm.jpg

Still needs work, but my newish Regal, and will be the first Bulldog I smoke. Despite it not being my style...gotta give it a try.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
I originally was only interested in billiards, then bent billiards and actually didn't care for bulldogs. I don't know what happened but Bulldogs and Rhodesian's are my current favorites.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nice additions guys. Davet, that Linkman's is beaut. Finding them with a decent stamping isn't as easy as you think. A lot of them I've seen have had the stampings nearly rubbed away from decades of use. Ed can drop the final judgment, but if I recall correctly, a Linkman stamped Grabow is roughly pre- early 1940's?
Here is my only Linkman. I paid way too much for the condition it was in but I had to have it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS0WNfbapNI

Status
Not open for further replies.