PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
OK, I'm an idiot, I forgot probably my favorite Dane, my Poul Hansen. It's a 9mm pipe that Rex Poggenpohl said was rare for Hansen. He thought it was carved for the German market. I found it on Al Pascia about a dozen years ago for maybe $125 and couldn't hit the "add to cart" button fast enough.
IMG_20200702_171915~2.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm interested in lesser known Danes such as Ulf Sasketchuan and Arne TooSorenson, both of whom studied with Anne Julie and Teddy in apprenticeships cut short for illegal flatulence.

Sales were flat so they partnered but that was no help as they spent most of their time at Arne's playing video games, which practice continues today. From what Ulf told me they plan to get back to carving no later than the first of the year.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have a Macbaren house pipe which was handmade by Georg Jensen.

View attachment 90317
Another under-appreciated brand, in my opinion. Good quality and affordable.

I have only one Georg Jensen, bought in the '70s. I took it out this week to give it a thorough clean. I try conscientiously to rotate my pipes as evenly as possible, but from the amount of cake I had to ream out, I must reach for this pipe subconsciously more often than I suspect.

The Danish Pipe Shop has a good selection of Georg Jensen estates at keen prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: LotusEater

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I first began smoking a pipe, I bought a Jensen as my second or third pipe. It burned so hot I threw it in the trash. I knew it wasn't my fault as my first pipe smoked cool and dry and I loved it. It was a Savinelli Linea Pui 5.

I scratched my Danish itch a long time ago and when I smoked my first American made artisan pipe, that was it. They smoked better than my danish pipes so I sold off my danes and began collecting American made pipes. I also liked the idea of smoking our guys pipes. My first Rad Davis commission is an awesome pipe and I still love it 9 years later. My last danish pipe I sold was a Former. I thought it was my best pipe but my first Rad Davis beat it big time. The stem, the way it smoked cool and dry was completely obvious so I have been collecting my American made pipes. I recently have been going nuts buying Jack Howell pipes as very few pipes smoke this good. I am going to buy as many as I can as I have made tons of room for a lot more. I have moved out over 50 pipes to make room. I was tired of looking at pipes that I never smoked. My goal is to have only 51 pipes that fit into my 2 cases. One holds 36 the other 15. I also have room for bigger pipes on a round 6 pipe holder.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Love this thread and posts--thanks Pipe Family!

And love those Danes.
I've changed though--I don't have a use for the freehands (mostly too heavy for these old jaw muscles) AND lots Stanwells (culled the ones that just aren't perfectly comfortable to smoke--kept about 20, though!)

Here's my problem--I still got the "first love" for Castellos AND a "go to" habit from "muscle-memory" to grab a big bent Pete when doing chores and yard work! Too many pipes still, but letting these beauties go and slimming down is a GOOD THING for me.
kindly
mike

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I used to have lots of Wades and Holms but here's the last fellow standing. An unsmoked Preben Holm Hallmark.

Those Holm Hallmarks are pretty whacked out…

E1-E33-DDE-545-B-4212-8-FF2-4324-B696-ECD6.jpg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I don’t even quite know now how many Danes I have… A lot.

Probably one of my favorites is this Henning Poulsen Bent Brandy. Nice straight grain, nice bird’s eye on the base, I think the shank adornment is Musk Ox head bone. This one is unsmoked.

Most of his pipes are on a smaller scale, but this one measures just over 6” in length, which appealed to me as I generally prefer larger pipes.

Not a guy who makes a large volume of pipes. Probably around a total of 500 in 40 years. But he definitely has the skill commensurate of someone who has made many more.

E647-E697-75-B6-4145-BF32-B0451-EDBE5-A9.jpg

F2329-E77-F4-EF-4049-B04-E-F69851-D9-C97-B.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Love this thread and posts--thanks Pipe Family!

And love those Danes.
AND lots Stanwells (kept about 20, though!)
Do show and tell :)
While most Stanwells are "factory pipes", most of them have been designed by makers whose hand made creations are out of reach for the majority of us

Reactions: UB 40

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
A couple of arrivals this week - both canted eggs, one of my favourite shapes.

The 1st is a Gert Holbek Polonius, one of my white whales (bought from a collector of Holbeks who had 9 of them ie Poloniuses. He has at least one of every shape that Holbek produced.

The 2nd is a Stanwell shape 35 (02) designed by Anne Julie - probably my favourite Stanwell shape.
image.jpgimage.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Forgot that I had this little guy. A Royal Copenhagen hand-painted, double-walled porcelain Dublin with silver band and tapered vulcanite stem which I bought new in the very early '80s.
Very small conical chamber, which limits its use fir me. On the other hand, just a quick clean with damp paper towels leaves pretty much bare walls, so no ghosting. Great for tasting blends.image.jpg