PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
My new Danish pipe (estate Tom Eltang) arrived yesterday.
Checked and discovered that Danes were really under-represented amongst my pipes.
There is a lot of love for Stanwells on the Forums (I have 4), but there are not a lot of threads dedicated to Danish pipes.
So here are mine
From top: Georg Jensen, Tom Eltang, 4 Stanwellsimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Nice pipes. The Eltang is beautiful! Of the Stanwells, what are the shape numbers of the first one, and the last?

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Around 15 years ago I went deep into Danish artisan pipes- Bang, Teddy, Balleby, Kent Rasmussen, Larsen SG’s, and a few others. I sold them off as my tastes changed toward more traditional English shapes. Now the pendulum is swinging back the other way, at least a bit. Here are two I’ve picked up in the last 9 months:

Eltang Snail, facet shanked Rhodesian:

BF26B632-2D8F-4635-A416-C4D75A123E4D.jpeg

Former paneled lovat:

CD9610A8-1DD9-4E34-823D-F7C3A605B769.jpeg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It definitely has the look of an early pipe.
That early Stanwell is a shape 24. Originally it had a longish stem with saddle bit.

Some catalogues show it with a straight stem, and some with a slight bend. I had it re-stemmed by The Danish Pipe Shop because the original was hopelessly oxidised. They returned the original stem completely cleaned and de-oxidised, but I prefer the new one.

Reactions: dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
That early Stanwell is a shape 24. Originally it had a longish stem with saddle bit.

Some catalogues show it with a straight stem, and some with a slight bend. I had it re-stemmed by The Danish Pipe Shop because the original was hopelessly oxidised. They returned the original stem completely cleaned and de-oxidised, but I prefer the new one.
Got it. Any markings on the Larsen above?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Just W.O.Larsen, with Made in Denmark below that, and Hand Made below that again just above the end of the shank. No shape number.

I assume it is one of their low/mid- range pipes.
That smallish apple shape has been around for a while, at least since the early '60's. Not marked as a Super? Going by the grain I can see It looks like a nice example, too bad about the roundover of the stem at the join. The pipe at back, Larsen Copenhagen era, also no shape number. The pipe in front is shape 70.

Larsen70select 036.JPG

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Yes, I have been focused on old Brit Woods, but I've pretty well scratched that itch now.

I've decided it's time to look at other pipes. I know very little of Danish pipes other than Stanwells. I have heard of most of the iconic Danish carvers, but have baulked at the prices asked for their "high end" creations.

I'm not attracted to most Danish freehands, in particular plateau tops. What I like most about the Danes are the free flowing lines and curves of their pipes - much more so than most Italians. A lot of Italian carvers seem to "miss the line/curve". Just my opinion ?

I love the way the Danes (and Italians) bring out and emphasise the grain.

W. O. Larsen pipes seem worthy of attention - some expensive ones, but most command very reasonable prices.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The Danes go to a lot of trouble on their pipes that doesn't always help sales. Eltang can make a pipe so fast that he has developed two lines of product. The first is geared toward the low end category of smoker who doesn't want to spent all that much money on a pipe (less than $200) and then second one is geared to the guy doesn't mind spend $800 - $KKKK on one.