PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
A good pork tenderloin has to be bigger than the bun all the way around. I'll take mine with real mayo and pickles please.
I like Chicago's Maxwell Street polish sandwich.

Breaded pork sandwich on a cheap hamburger bun with Plochmans yellow mustard, carmelized onions, and sport peppers. Just hold the sandwich on the bone so you don't chip a tooth.

Same with a Maxwell Street polish sausage. Although I prefer a Chicago style hot dog.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Real mayonnaise. Full fat. Hellmann's. On a pork loin. On fries. On the outside of a grilled cheese before you fry it. I'll put mayo on Skittles.

Miracle Whip is quite possibly man's most horrible invention. I don't trust anyone who uses it, as something must be wrong with them.

My feelings on this matter have been substantiated through experience.

Thank you that is all.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Ohhh, biscuits with chocolate gravy. Actually, I HATE them, ha ha. As a kid I would stay with other friends whose mom would make them for us for breakfast, and I remember going hungry tioll I would get home to get real food.
But, I cannot eat sweets for breakfast at all. I can't even stomach waffles or pancakes. But. my wife, when the mood hits her, I have to make it for her. But, I never eat it.
The gravy is actually a pudding... which is double blech from me, as I can't stomach chocolate pudding or even chocolate pie (which is essentially a pudding also) at all either.
I'm not much on sweets for breakfast but I will do buttermilk biscuits and molasses from time to time. Pair that with some strong coffe and some 5 Brothers if you really want to punish the toilet.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Real mayonnaise. Full fat. Hellmann's. On a pork loin. On fries. On the outside of a grilled cheese before you fry it. I'll put mayo on Skittles.

Miracle Whip is quite possibly man's most horrible invention. I don't trust anyone who uses it, as something must be wrong with them.

Thank you that is all.
I couldn't agree more........... I wouldn't feed miracle whip to the homeless.......... Or my in-laws.......

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
White barbeque sauce, started at Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, Alabama, in the 1940's, but you can now buy it in any Alabama grocers. It is a vinegar and mayonaise barbeque sauce used on barbeque'd chicken, mmmm mmm good.
Boiled peanuts... the caviar of the South. Don't knock it, till you've tried it.
Fried Okra... if you have never tried okra, then you have no idea what you are missing.
Fried Green tomatoes... people down here love them, but they give me the runs, so...
Grits, I love when friends from up North or abroad tell me that they think grits is gross, but then go on and on about polenta... it's the same thing!!! We use lye to turn the corn to hominy, and then grind that into cornmeal, and the larger particles are filtered out to make grits/polenta.
That’s a good list there! I love boiled peanuts. I remember when my step sister from Georgia first talked about them, with her accent, it sounded like she was saying “bald green penis”! :LOL: But damn, they are good!

I tried white bbq sauce for the first time back in 2014 at a company bbq cook off, some good shit right there! I need to find a good recipe for it, I haven’t seen it sold in stores around here.

I like everything you listed except fried green tomatoes, I haven’t tried ‘em but I’m betting I’d like those too.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa

Thank you that is all.
So like a Royale with cheese?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
That’s a good list there! I love boiled peanuts. I remember when my step sister from Georgia first talked about them, with her accent, it sounded like she was saying “bald green penis”! :LOL: But damn, they are good!

I tried white bbq sauce for the first time back in 2014 at a company bbq cook off, some good shit right there! I need to find a good recipe for it, I haven’t seen it sold in stores around here.

I like everything you listed except fried green tomatoes, I haven’t tried ‘em but I’m betting I’d like those too.
I don't have the link handy but Google Bob Gibson's white sauce recipe. He invented it for a university bbq and it's relatively easy from what I recall.

I have not tried white bbq due to an egg allergy in the family, but enjoy all bbq styles, from the mustards and vinegars of the Carolinas to Memphis and Texas style.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I don't have the link handy but Google Bob Gibson's white sauce recipe. He invented it for a university bbq and it's relatively easy from what I recall.

I have not tried white bbq due to an egg allergy in the family, but enjoy all bbq styles, from the mustards and vinegars of the Carolinas to Memphis and Texas style.
Awesome, will definitely look that up, appreciate it! I’m the same, love all the different types of bbq.

I grew up with Big Bob Gibson's just a short drive away. My Grandmother would sometimes pick up a Brunswick stew from them in a re-used gallon milk jug.

But, if you want state iconic barbeque, then Dreamland was the place. It started in Tuscaloosa, and when I used to teach at UA, everyone had to eat there at least once. At the original location in a shack on Watermelon Rd, the only thing on the menu was a slab of ribs, and any drink you wanted as long as it came in a can. White bread was always on the tables. That was it. You ate at the long slab picnic style tables with dogs roaming through the place begging bones off of people. I kid you not. Everyone would be covered in sauce and grease.

Now, they have a more upscale chain, but it's not nearly as delicious as the original. My oldest is working her way through college, at one of the chains. They are much nicer place than the original shack full of hungry dogs.

1638550264705.png
Pictured is Big Daddy who owned the place, and he always had a pipe, and you walked into the shack, with no real door. And, he would be standing behind a makeshift counter, and the only thing he said was, "how many slabs?" And, you grabbed a drink out of one of many old kitchen refrigerators lined up, and paid, set down, and ate with your eyes rolling back into your head. The best ribs ever.

It's good now, but the fancy waitresses and other stuff on the menu, cleanliness, and the actual door, and no dogs... seems to have killed the mystique, ha ha. Back in the day when the restaurant inspectors didn't care a bit about what happened out of Watermelon Rd. It was a favorite place of Coach Bear Bryant as well, and all of the old football stars had eaten there many times over the years.

And, there's a pipe involved. If anyone goes to the chain store in Birmingham, please tip well. puffy

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
There were a couple of places like that in the town I grew up in.

People parked on the front yard and the family just set up card tables in the house. One of the kids would walk out and ask what you wanted to drink. You got whatever they were serving that day and it was always fantastic.

A main course, two sides & bread. Oxtail, meat loaf, fried chicken, pot roast, pork chops... collards, black-eyed-peas, stewed tomatoes & oakra... cornbread, red beans & rice. They made it all.

They were close to the refineries, rail yard and the port. The health department shut them all down sometime around 2002.

There were a couple of places like that in the town I grew up in.

People parked on the front yard and the family just set up card tables in the house. One of the kids would walk out and ask what you wanted to drink. You got whatever they were serving that day and it was always fantastic.

A main course, two sides & bread. Oxtail, meat loaf, fried chicken, pot roast, pork chops... collards, black-eyed-peas, stewed tomatoes & oakra... cornbread, red beans & rice. They made it all.

They were close to the refineries, rail yard and the port. The health department shut them all down sometime around 2002.
There used to be a place in Memphis where you walked into someone's urban house, which was very old and junky. And, you sat in a large but dark livingroom with everyone on a couch facing a TV, and a sweaty fat man in a wifebeater shirt would take your order, and everything was microwavable stuff. It was kitchy artsy fartsy. I walked by it and took a look inside, but my friends and I decided to eat real food that night, ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.