Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The finest baby back ribs I ever ate were Sonny's in Philadelphia. It's gone now but, wow! I could never come close to matching the sauce, a fierce pepper from the Caribbean meant tingly lips for hours after dining. The place couldn't seat but maybe 20, that included six, maybe eight, bar stools. Only a couple of booths, The ribs were cooked in what appeared to be one of those old belt driven toaster found in mess halls. My sister-in-law would beg Sonny for a couple of quarts of sauce to send for my Christmas present. Only very discerning guests were invited to try it when I did ribs.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Any vinegar based sauce will usually be tasty on pig. The tart vinegar and sweet pork simply meld into a taste treat. Never ever tried a vinegar based on chicken though. Just sounds icky! Or, beef for that matter. Beef, Texas style, never seems to require any sauce except where required by Northerners with undeveloped palates.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Squirrel, Rabbit, Armadillo? Is it a stew? Sounds interesting, I'd try it.
He makes small layered wraps of the three meats, each one about the width of a 2-finger egg roll.
He batches up about 10 in each of 3-4 armadillo shells, pulls the shell tight and ties off with baling wire. They get tossed in the edge of a campfire for about 45 minutes, turning now and then.
Cut the wires, empty the rolls onto a grate over the fire for about 10 minutes, and dig in to some scrumptious finger food!
He likes them with Shiner Beer.

I have told this before, but I was taking my daughters up to Illinois to visit some of their family on the other side. Mrs Cos and I stayed in Beloit, and it started to snow. So with nothing to do in Beloit, we walked down to this little neighborhood tavern. Now, I preface this to say that I am not a drinker, and only maybe a handful of times have ever been in a bar. But, I knew that I had to buy a drink to stay in there. There were only maybe a dozen locals milling about.
The bartender asks me what I want to drink, and I was caught off guard I had to think of an alcoholic drink that I had heard guys talk about, so my brain spun to frat parties... "I'll have a Jägermeister." Mrs Cos makes a yuck face at me, and I just shrug. I don't know.

So, he gives me a big glass of this shit. I then ask if they have Mountain Dew... the whole bar drones with... "ooooooooo..." like that was the worst combo they had ever heard of. And, the bartender asks me where we are from... obviously because of my stylish clothes and fancy mastery of the language. I said, "Alabama." And, they all pepped up. Because obviously, I was not better than them. I notice reactions when I say where I am from when travelling.
So, he pours me a Mountain Dew on some ice. Others at the bar start asking me... "do you guys down there drink Jager and Mt Dew?" I just shrugged, Sure!" And, shouts of "Give me one of them Alabamas!!" started coming from all over.
When no one was looking, I poured the glass of Jager in the floor. I did try to take a sip, but... I just can't drink liquor, and at the time, I couldn't even stomach a glass of wine. So, I was drinking Mt Dews, and everyone was getting ripped on "Alabamas." I played darts, danced with locals, and had a great time... While they were just guzzling the Alabamas.

All of this to say that there is now a regional drink in a pub on the Wisconsin side of Beloit, that has a drink named for my state. And, I am so sorry. puffy

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I have told this before, but I was taking my daughters up to Illinois to visit some of their family on the other side. Mrs Cos and I stayed in Beloit, and it started to snow. So with nothing to do in Beloit, we walked down to this little neighborhood tavern. Now, I preface this to say that I am not a drinker, and only maybe a handful of times have ever been in a bar. But, I knew that I had to buy a drink to stay in there. There were only maybe a dozen locals milling about.
The bartender asks me what I want to drink, and I was caught off guard I had to think of an alcoholic drink that I had heard guys talk about, so my brain spun to frat parties... "I'll have a Jägermeister." Mrs Cos makes a yuck face at me, and I just shrug. I don't know.

So, he gives me a big glass of this shit. I then ask if they have Mountain Dew... the whole bar drones with... "ooooooooo..." like that was the worst combo they had ever heard of. And, the bartender asks me where we are from... obviously because of my stylish clothes and fancy mastery of the language. I said, "Alabama." And, they all pepped up. Because obviously, I was not better than them. I notice reactions when I say where I am from when travelling.
So, he pours me a Mountain Dew on some ice. Others at the bar start asking me... "do you guys down there drink Jager and Mt Dew?" I just shrugged, Sure!" And, shouts of "Give me one of them Alabamas!!" started coming from all over.
When no one was looking, I poured the glass of Jager in the floor. I did try to take a sip, but... I just can't drink liquor, and at the time, I couldn't even stomach a glass of wine. So, I was drinking Mt Dews, and everyone was getting ripped on "Alabamas." I played darts, danced with locals, and had a great time... While they were just guzzling the Alabamas.

All of this to say that there is now a regional drink in a pub on the Wisconsin side of Beloit, that has a drink named for my state. And, I am so sorry. puffy
That's awesome!

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
More Louisiana specialties: seafood gumbo, chicken and sausage gumbo, crawfish boil, beignets, pralines, King Cake, Cafe Du Monde coffee with chicory, and hurricane cocktails.

Attachments

• sgumbo.jpg
    sgumbo.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 3
  • pot-of-chicken-sausage-gumbo.jpg
    pot-of-chicken-sausage-gumbo.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 3
  • crawfish-boil.jpg
    crawfish-boil.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 2
  • beignets.jpg
    beignets.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 1
  • pralines.jpg
    pralines.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1
  • King Cake.jpg
    King Cake.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 1
  • cafe-du-monde-coffee-chicory-can.jpg
    cafe-du-monde-coffee-chicory-can.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Pat-OBrien-Hurricane-Cocktail.jpg
    Pat-OBrien-Hurricane-Cocktail.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
A few regional delights; which I’m sure are now produced to varying degrees of success across the States.BC4A2E2E-72D3-43A2-BA9D-FEA6DE92C702.jpegSuperdawg (a Chicago classic: neon green Relish, kosher dill pickle, onions, sport peppers, mustard, and a pickled Tomoteo....a deviation from standard Chicago style dog which uses red tomato)19DF56E3-D552-49AD-8C98-40E34EB6E48C.jpegItalian beef with gardinera: pickled veggies, celery, carrots, cauliflower and jalapeño

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Here’s a regional soda which was the de facto “Generic” Brand. They used to manufacture over 50 varieties. But grocers began marketing their own “house/generic” brands and Canfield’s was sold and dissolved? They had a lemon lime soda that was MILES better than the likes of Sprite/Slice/7 Up. They also had an absolutely disgusting flavor my cousins drank and served at all their Christmas gatherings: Diet Cherry Chocolate Creme Soda?FC7AD6AD-A9A9-4D23-B3BD-D87E07A33F41.png

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
A few regional delights; which I’m sure are now produced to varying degrees of success across the States.View attachment 113925Superdawg (a Chicago classic: neon green Relish, kosher dill pickle, onions, sport peppers, mustard, and a pickled Tomoteo....a deviation from standard Chicago style dog which uses red tomato)View attachment 113927Italian beef with gardinera: pickled veggies, celery, carrots, cauliflower and jalapeño
I grew up in Chicago and it was a treat when my parents would take us to Super Dawg.
R.jpeg
Another place we went to often was Russell's Bar B-Q which was near Maywood Park racetrack if my memory is correct. Kiddie Land was also near by. Maybe it was Melrose Park.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I grew up in Chicago and it was a treat when my parents would take us to Super Dawg.
View attachment 113932
Another place we went to often was Russell's Bar B-Q which was near Maywood Park racetrack if my memory is correct. Kiddie Land was also near by. Maybe it was Melrose Park.
Ah; Maywood Park. I used to frequent there until the great riot of the late 90’s. They were holding Super Night because Balmoral Park was unavailable.
I thought I had that once in a lifetime play, dropping a 1to9 Chalk from my exotic plays. Horse indeed ran fifth, and I had a 40to1 on top of a 99to1 on top of a 30to1 on top of a 8to1.... would’ve paid a fortune; but those crooks flashed inquiry FOUR TIMES!!!! And basically relegating my four horses down one spot while jogging the chalk up to the first place finish. After that fraud, folks flipped over tote machines, dumped garbage cans out on first Avenue, set multiple fires, and even ransacked the $$$ tornado machine. Never went back after that.???

• Haha
Reactions: scloyd
Status
Not open for further replies.