PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I should preface this with... Moon Pies are not ever to be eaten. They are meant to be thrown in acts of hedonism on Mardis Gras in Mobile. If one should ever try to eat one of these things... god have mercy on your digestive system. RC is great though. I am also a bigger fan of Sun Drop though.
View attachment 113389
RC>Pepsi>Coke. My opinion of course….

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Love da roast pork! Not a Raab fan. ☕
I find the fibrous, light, green & clean broccoli raab to be a nice counterpoint to the pork and cheese. But I’m sure you can get it w/o and they’ll be happy to charge you the same price ?. For anyone that may not know this sandwich just look it up and type Dinic’s, at Reading Terminal Market. Their website has a picture. There are 2 other sandwiches native to the Philly suburbs which deserve honorable mention: The Schmidter and the Zepp. They’re kind of on the junky lunchmeat side of things, but they have their time and place.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I find the fibrous, light, green & clean broccoli raab to be a nice counterpoint to the pork and cheese. But I’m sure you can get it w/o and they’ll be happy to charge you the same price ?. For anyone that may not know this sandwich just look it up and type Dinic’s, at Reading Terminal Market. Their website has a picture. There are 2 other sandwiches native to the Philly suburbs which deserve honorable mention: The Schmidter and the Zepp. They’re kind of on the junky lunchmeat side of things, but they have their time and place.
I believe it’s broccoli Rabe (at least that’s how DiNic’s labeled it). Haven’t been there since 2019, (didn’t want to deal with Covid nonsense) but it was phenomenal then. Only thing better on that trip was the giant chocolate shake I got at Hershey Park.

Reactions: Egg Shen

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I've heard that American A&W and Canadian A&W are completely different beasts when it comes to their root beer and burgers. Our A&W has a creamy like quality.
I’m a root beer snob. A&W is probably the best Commercial brand. Barq’s has to be the absolute worst? Just carbonated grossness. And way overdone on their spice element.
My favorites are Hank’s (perfect balance of sweet and spice), Berghoff (more ale like qualities), DognSuds (probably the creamiest Rootbeer I’ve tried), and Fireman’s Brew (it’s a bit sweeter than Berghoff, but has that great sassafrass element. I’d drink it more often but it’s so hard to get)
Worst I’ve had are Virgil’s ?? the new formula WBC (they had a winner before they switched about Eight or Nine years ago), and Frostie (not to be confused with Frosttop which is excellent).
The mark of a great rootbeer is that it needn’t be refrigerated to be drinkable. If it’s good lukewarm/room temperature then it’ll be phenomenal cold.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

BlackSwampPiper

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2021
Ohio
Toledo Ohio, home of the original Tony Packo’s of MASH fame. A typically delicious dog with sauce, not terribly special, but over there in Hunky Town they have a long history of good cooking, and the paprikas is to die for!

Reactions: JOHN72
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I'm really enjoying this thread.

I lived half my life in Lansing, which is known for the olive burger. In short, a regular burger topped with an olive salad made of chopped green olives with pimentos, mayonnaise, a pinch of sugar, and a splash of lemon juice.

Lansing also is home to Quality Dairy, a 7-11 like convenience store that makes it's own milk, apple cider, eggnog, and doughnuts (amongst other things). QD is known for its onion dip, where Michigan State alumni ofter pick up when visiting or request it to be shipped.

It's similar to, but but better than, Liptons onion dip (best served with chips or crackers). While some may consider it trashy, it is delicious.

Reactions: scloyd

JohnClyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2020
UK
The only regional speciality I can think of worth mentioning is Yorkshire Pudding.

As a kid raised in a veggie family, it was a rare treat, then cooked in a big oven dish, cut up, and served piping hot with jam.

Status
Not open for further replies.