PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love fried okra. But it's horrid when boiled. Yeah, some people actually do that. Comes out a slimy green gob of nastiness.
We have been stir frying with it quite a bit these last few years. Battering and frying things just gets too complicated and messy for what you get. I would never boil okra, but there are very few foods that I would ever boil anyways, except turnips greens or collards.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I love that logo, and the fact that it looks like the potato is struggling to control those kids.

Poutine, which is pronounced (poo-tin) is a decidedly Québec treat. But since no member from there has posted yet, here ya go:

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__recipes__images__2015__03__20150327-poutine-joshua-bousel-2d4d31bbf89a441baff9a8c4011959d7.jpg

What if I told you that about 2 years ago I discovered these existed and was very curious to see how they tasted. You can find them anywhere here. Something like a raspberry blueberry taste?
I used to love getting this. When I lived in Pittsburgh my Canadian friends would take me up there because of the lower drinking age (I was a college freshman). I recall you could even get it at Burger King. Wish they had it here…I used to love those trips to Leamington which is damn cold place in the winter so you really need some hearty food like this.

Do other places pour pinto beans cooked with hock and onions and peppers over corn bread and mash it all up? Or, is this Southern? My grandmother practically cooked it every other day, and I loved it.

My great grandfather used to also pour almost a whole bottle of Karo syrup on top of his mashed pintos and cornbread. But, he had @Chasing Embers condition... absolutely no body fat, and needed the calories. I've seen that man, stir together Christmas dinner plus dessert on a huge plate and just mash it up, and then pour a whole jar of jam on top... with all of us cousins just watching in disgust, ha ha. The man was also deaf as a doorknob, and chain smoked filterless cigarettes till they killed him a 107 years of age. He would keep one lit all through dinner. He was the retired sheriff of 60 years of service. But, I don't remember the man ever saying a word.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
My great grandfather used to also pour almost a whole bottle of Karo syrup on top of his mashed pintos and cornbread. But, he had @Chasing Embers condition... absolutely no body fat, and needed the calories. I've seen that man, stir together Christmas dinner plus dessert on a huge plate and just mash it up, and then pour a whole jar of jam on top... with all of us cousins just watching in disgust, ha ha. The man was also deaf as a doorknob, and chain smoked filterless cigarettes till they killed him a 107 years of age. He would keep one lit all through dinner. He was the retired sheriff of 60 years of service. But, I don't remember the man ever saying a word.
Sounds like he was too busy either eating or smoking!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
As some here may know, the geoduck is the mascot of Evergreen State College. Evergreen's motto is "Let is All Hang Out"! Haha!
real-geoduck.jpg
I don't know if I could eat that.
How is it prepared? Boiled? Stir fry? Hopefully not raw.

Edit - I Googled Geoduck recipes. I'd eat it in a chowder or if it was fried. Not raw...no way.

Last edited:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Barbecue is incredibly regional. Each quadrant of each state has its own version, to which the inhabitants are usually intensely loyal. Eastern North Carolina barbecue is slow cooked chopped pork barbecue basted with vinegar and red pepper flakes and often served with coleslaw and the local version of hush puppies. There are still a few restaurants that serve the classic version, but fewer as the years go by, though it is still a standard for group picnics with a caterer doing the roasting in a pit made out of a big oil drum on trailer wheels behind a pickup truck. The most recently opened chain barbecue restaurant near me is based around Texas barbecue, a whole different theme. The old time traditional pork barbecue restaurant downtown, for years would only take cash and has only recently accepted plastic.
Pig pickin' is almost religious experience.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Taylor Ham (Pork Roll to the dirty south Jersey residents). I buy it as a 6 or 7 pound full log and slice it myself. The pre boxed stuff is not as good, but suitable in a pinch. I have tried to eat it at deli’s outside NJ who try to make it and I have yet to find a place outside the state that knows what to do with it correctly. If you find yourself NJ, you owe it to yourself to go to a good deli and get a sandwich.

Trenton Makes, The World Takes!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've heard more ppl that enjoy double slated liquorice. A former Co worker of me is South African, she almost took a suitcase full when she visited. The Taiwanese at that same job were also fond of it, but that took time.
Salted licorice is afavorite of mine. it just needs the right licorice : salt ratio. You need to be able to taste the licorice without feeling like you have a mouthfull of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.